Force custom printable area into One page?

I'm working with a university to redraw their theater spaces into better drawings - since the base info comes from them, everything is watermarked with the educational mark (I'm a paid, professional user for many years).  We're trying to do a non standard paper size for our sheets - the desired output is 42 inches wide x 36 inches tall.  No matter what I do, VW won't let me pick this custom size and have it be one sheet - it keeps tiling smaller pages to make this up, even if I use "Choose size unavailable in Printer Setup".  I don't have a plotter in my studio, so I can't set the printer settings to anything larger...but I thought "Choose size unavailable in Printer setup" was supposed to override this problem.  The result of this tiling is that I am getting watermarks all over the drawing space, not just top and bottom.

Please tell me I'm missing something simple here?  Thoughts?  See attached.  I'm building this out in VW 2020 SP 3.1 on Windows 10.

Thanks in advance for any help!

e.

PU_Watermark_02.png

You need to go to the Printer Setup and choose a printer that supports a page size of what you need. You don't have to have the actual printer, just install a printer driver that handles the paper size.

Or choose the printer you have and create a custom paper size Under Mange Custom Sizes...

image.png.ebbf88c34ab83190a58ae1ebc22170a3.png

image.png.884057c51478a1950503d493507f8b35.png

Thanks Pat - I used to do exactly that with Manage custom sizes on Mac, but since switching to Windows, I can't find the equivalent.  It's frustrating that Choose Size Unavailable in Printer Setup doesn't really do what the name implies :)

I'm installing a driver for a HP plotter right now - I'll report back - thanks!

e.

I did an HP plotter, but was surprised to see the download was over 1 GB.  I did a custom installation and didn't add anything other then the driver.  I don't want their "Manager" software and bloat.  Would be good to know if there is a better way to deal with this.

Edited by EAlexander

Yes, since I am on Big Sur and M1,

most of my Printers are somehow deprecated and do no more run very well.

(32 bit and such)

So when caring about these and try to get them running; I also saw the

Driver Sizes and the crappy Software.

I think in the past (mid 90ies ?) there was something like a universal

HPGL plotter driver for Windows.

( I never really need final paper plan work, and I do not get why I need a

fake printer driver driver or larger manual intervention in VW at all.

To just save some single "Paper" PDFs at a certain Scale)

• 2 years later...

I’m having some issues similar to this. Please help it’s driving me loopy!

I am importing a file that has been setup on a Mac and drawings set out on a design layer with Paper size at A3 with 5mm margins. (Non-Printable area). This means the boundary line on the design layer is 410mm x 287mm and in sheet layers paper size is 420mm x 297mm but shows a 5mm greyed out margin to all sides. ‘Non-printable area’

I am trying to emulate this in windows but I can’t seem to set up the ‘non-printable area’. Firstly because I think it works better to have a predefined margin and secondly it means in this current import all the drawings in the design layers are unaligned from the boundry and it is affecting the title block borders that have been set to ‘fit printable area’.

On 7/6/2021 at 8:06 PM, EAlexander said:

Yes - adding the HP Plotter driver and creating a custom size within that printer did the trick.  Appreciate your time and knowledge Pat.

PU_Watermark_03.png

@EAlexander I noticed in the attached image it shows a greyed out margin border? How did you accomplish this? Could you set up a custom page size via the printer? Could you share what driver you installed please? 

Thanks in advance. 

Ha, I don't remember as this was a few years ago. The gray border just indicates that it is a sheet layer and defines the space and non print bleed zone. 

I think I just picked a random HP plotter that was wide enough to output my desired size and installed it's driver. 

Sorry I can't help more. 

e. 

• Like 1