Equipment Rack 2D width

Could / should width of rack on drawing to represent actual width of physical property of that racks PIO.?

Now all racks on Rack Elevation are 600mm in width. I would like rack on drawing to represent width from set physical property of said rack. 

Picture of rack from drawing which has set width of 800mm:

image.png.c3b90aba2458520b49ef2d70252812e2.png

It would be helpful to customers, construction workers and installers(even me) to get hang of where different width racks are supposed to be. 

-Arto

• Like 1

Hi Nikolay,

Opening affects open space in between "rack rails" (19" / 23") and still rack overall width is not 800mm it is 702mm.

Yes I have noticed that width affects 3D, I was asking and suggesting if that could affect 2D also.  I rarely hand out 3D presentation to installer for example. 3D racks have evolved greatly in couple years but are not yet in level where you can make drawings for installers.

Ex.

image.png.210da814a6477568ce45105fead27948.pngimage.png.4c48f6fb610dc8efb01a92f8994afea2.png 

Same devices but information is vastly different.

image.png.f1bd743eb9cf05684810ae4b52752fa1.pngimage.png.e374c2c6d90318ad6822666d490b005b.png

If you have two equipment(Rack Width: non-rack on OIP) on same rack unit, in 3D both are displayed on left side of rack on top of each other.

Another thing is that if I have two non-rack equipment on same rack unit so that another is on left side and another on right side the rightmost does not register to rack unit. Registration is only when equipment is on left side of rack middle line.

image.png.15857985e1c1083573abe2bcf0716b2a.pngimage.png.9389a943052dbd52d4d009a3c94db8c1.png

Also if it is computer generated it removes one point of failure to remember to add "strips" on side of some rack, which width is all ready given to program to use as width of rack.

You see this width info is there and used in other place but not in another.

-Arto

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
37 minutes ago, aheininen said:

Opening affects open space in between "rack rails" (19" / 23") and still rack overall width is not 800mm it is 702mm.

- So, you would like the Rack width parameter to change the width of the sides of the rack, as it does in the 3D rack, so that the overall width is matching the value in the OIP?

38 minutes ago, aheininen said:

Same devices but information is vastly different.

- Additional information could be displayed both in 2D and 3D using the linked text functionality in the layout group of the equipment item. Simply double click the equipment item, create a text object in the layout and in the OIP select what to display.

43 minutes ago, aheininen said:

If you have two equipment(Rack Width: non-rack on OIP) on same rack unit, in 3D both are displayed on left side of rack on top of each other.

Another thing is that if I have two non-rack equipment on same rack unit so that another is on left side and another on right side the rightmost does not register to rack unit. Registration is only when equipment is on left side of rack middle line.

- Not really sure if it is expected to have non-rack equipment mounted in a rack? @Conrad Preen any thought here? Anyway, Arto, have you tried the half-rack equipment option? Maybe it gets the job done for you in this case?

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

50 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- So, you would like the Rack width parameter to change the width of the sides of the rack, as it does in the 3D rack, so that the overall width is matching the value in the OIP?

Yes, that exactly. Because we have racks with different outside dimensions. 600mm, 800mm and 1000mm most frequently used sizes in 19" opening. Now on drawing we have only 600mm width racks.

- Additional information could be displayed both in 2D and 3D using the linked text functionality in the layout group of the equipment item. Simply double click the equipment item, create a text object in the layout and in the OIP select what to display.

Tried this but I could not to link text to anything. Link to record says illegal objects selected. OIP is just normal selection from text tool.

- Not really sure if it is expected to have non-rack equipment mounted in a rack? @Conrad Preen any thought here? Anyway, Arto, have you tried the half-rack equipment option? Maybe it gets the job done for you in this case?

It has been option previously, at least it has worked. Issue arises when you have example some small devices(3-6pc) from different manufacturers which you know that fit in same real life rack unit and are to be installed to generic rack shelf with out dedicated rack mount. There right most units might not get RackU location to schematics. Half rack might be option in this case. Some times it is not when you have to put two little ones on top of each other.

-Arto

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
5 minutes ago, aheininen said:

Yes, that exactly. Because we have racks with different outside dimensions. 600mm, 800mm and 1000mm most frequently used sizes in 19" opening. Now on drawing we have only 600mm width racks.

- Note taken. I will fill in a bug about this and keep you updated here when this gets fixed.

6 minutes ago, aheininen said:

Tried this but I could not to link text to anything. Link to record says illegal objects selected. OIP is just normal selection from text tool.

- Never mind, my bad on this.

6 minutes ago, aheininen said:

It has been option previously, at least it has worked. Issue arises when you have example some small devices(3-6pc) from different manufacturers which you know that fit in same real life rack unit and are to be installed to generic rack shelf with out dedicated rack mount. There right most units might not get RackU location to schematics. Half rack might be option in this case. Some times it is not when you have to put two little ones on top of each other.

- I will fill in a bug about the detection of the location and keep you updated on its status.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

1 hour ago, aheininen said:

2 hours ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Agreed, non-rackmount items are very common in tour racks, etc. for instance as much as I might like to have everything rackmount, not always a case.  One example from a current project is a blu-ray player, where for my client I can either spend <$100 for a non-rackmount or +$1000 for a rackmount, guess which one they went with?  This also applies for a lot of equipment that just isn't rackmount like small scarlett audio interfaces, etc.

Thomas

• Like 1