File Currption on Windows?

teedd

Hi @Conrad P hopefully you can help with this.

So I'm a windows 10 user of Connect CAD. I have a System Design that I originally created, 3 months ago. I'm now looking to make some changes. So I take the original file that I called v1, and save it as v2. But as I do this, I notice both the original v1 file and therefor v2 file are "corrupt". In the sense that, the internal socket connections for devices are missing, so I can't wire devices together, creating new devices or modifying original devices makes no difference all are created with missing sockets. If I create a new document, add devices etc its fine, but editing this particular file is a problem. (See original file, v1 here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r8puwhgenzqxrt8/AADhpToWJghFIW38yBPfpiara?dl=0 Ive also saved some screenshots to demonstrate what I'm talking about in the comparison image.

Whats weird is, if my colleague who its a Mac user of Connect Cad, opens the file it looks fine for him. He then saved this same file as v1a (also in the dropbox folder), which has resolved my issues and everything looks and functions as it should. What am I missing? This feels like a windows specific bug maybe?

Windows 10 20H2

Vectorks 2021 MB-SP3 Build 588748

Regards

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @teedd

I have the feeling that this may be a case of mixed service packs 2021SP2 and SP3. If one of you upgraded and the other did not then saving back to SP2 can cause this kind of thing. Is that the case here?

Thanks for sending us all the files by the way - this really speeds up diagnosis. We investigate and get back to you.

Conrad

Hello @teedd,

Thanks for the feedback and sharing the test file. The problem that we have here is that we have a bug when you open a file from VW 2021 SP2 on VW 2021 SP3 with a sheet layer active. The problem is that we are getting the snap grid of the sheet layer when we are updating the file to meet the new ConnectCAD scaling logic. We are going to work on a fix for this and have it fixed asap. As a workaround for now, open the file in SP2, make any of the design layers active, save the file and then opening it in SP3 and above should work as expected. Please note that after you have saved the file in SP3 and above it is not recommended to use it in SP2, as the scaling logic in the service packs is different and this might cause issues.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 2

Thanks for this, and yes it seems pretty likely I might have started this on SP2 and then tried opening it on SP3, and hence why when a colleague opened the file on a mac (using SP2) but re saved it it worked (he must have activated a design layer to check it was working for him, hence the accidental fix).

Is there any way for me now running SP3 to open files using SP2 e.g. a runtime argument like "Vectorworks2021.exe /SP2" or do I need to ask a colleague who's still using SP2 to save the file for me with a design layer open, until the fix comes?

Kind Regards

Daniel

3 hours ago, teedd said:

Is there any way for me now running SP3 to open files using SP2 e.g. a runtime argument like "Vectorworks2021.exe /SP2" or do I need to ask a colleague who's still using SP2 to save the file for me with a design layer open, until the fix comes?

- Unfortunately, I do not think that there is a way to do this, once you have upgraded.