issues for GIS image export with georeferencing

Hi All,

I tried to export a georeferenced image by using the GIS image from VW, but the box of export georeferencing image is grey and i can't tick it. I 've tried other ways, like exporting geo referencing image from a georeferenced file, then i can tick the box but the actual image it export is not georeferenced. Has anyone export a georeferenced image successfully before that could help?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2021 at 2:43 PM, Jane Ge said:

Hi All,

I tried to export a georeferenced image by using the GIS image from VW, but the box of export georeferencing image is grey and i can't tick it. I 've tried other ways, like exporting geo referencing image from a georeferenced file, then i can tick the box but the actual image it export is not georeferenced. Has anyone export a georeferenced image successfully before that could help?

Thanks

Sounds like you are both using the Geoimage tool in Vectorworks.  You are better off placing an image you have the rights to rather than using Vectorworks/ESRI licensed images.  Why you are having problems...From the help menu:

Due to licensing restrictions, the image displays while working in the file, but it cannot be saved with the file for offline use unless you are logged in with an Esri account. Update the geoimage from the Object Info palette to download the image again, after saving the file.

I acquire my own images either by purchasing, obtaining from an open source, or by capturing them myself with a drone.  Then, I place them in Vectorworks rather than using the Geoimage tool.  Vectorworks really needs to improve this workflow for real world practitioners.  It's silly to be unable to print or export ESRI images in my opinion.

Related discussion:

Edited by jeff prince
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/27/2021 at 9:11 PM, jeff prince said:

It's silly to be unable to print or export ESRI images in my opinion.

Well... yes and no. It is possible to print/export ESRI image but only if you have an ESRI account. If you don't then you probably won't have a right to use the images other than for display within VW. Which seems reasonable to me.

Like you I prefer to get my own imagery either from opensource data or purchase if really necessary to avoid dependence on commercial outfits like ESRI who sometimes charge you and arm and a leg for imagery while there are opensource alternatives of adequate or almost equal quality available for most purposes. (Unless you need the most recent images in very high quality where purchase is often the only option for the short term, unless you can wait for that image to become available in open sources)

Edited by Art V