wall Record error

J Parkin

"required data file "wall record.txt has encountered an undetermined error"

I know it is a glitch.

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO FIX IT!

I am getting really frustrated with this, it happens in all my files, and consistantly appears as a problem after about 5 minutes of use.

I have just upgraded to 10.5 hoping this would fix the problem, with no luck.

come on Nemetschek, this is not up to your usual high standard. Its not good enough. [Embarrassed]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

quote:

Originally posted by J Parkin:

"required data file "wall record.txt has encountered an undetermined error"

I know it is a glitch.

WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO FIX IT!

"wall record.txt" is an actual file in the VectorWorks installation. Perhaps that file has been corrupted somehow? Try reinstalling VectorWorks. If that doesn't work, I suggest searching your program directory for that file, and taking a look. Then give tech support a call, and they can help you determine if it is corrupted.

If you close VW and reopen VW, the problem comes back within just 5 mins?

What types of things are you doing in VW durring those 5 mins?

Are you printing, changing the wall type, changing wall parameters, drawing walls.. etc.

It shouldn't come back after just 5 mins.

Katie,

It does not seem to matter what type of work I am doing, if it involves wall creation, the error eventually comes up.

I need to stress I have tried just about everything, reinstalled, reinstalled on a different machine, Put all updates available on.

Is there a specific situation that usually triggers this glitch?

Well we need to know if it truly is after only 5 mins that this problem comes back up. If it is, then we need to investigate the types of operations you are performing to trigger the problem so quickly.

It shouldn't take that long for the problem to come back. It should take alot longer.

Things like acessing Page Setup in the file menu and the Print menu can trigger a faster occurance of this problem, but I can't really see if happening after only 5 mins.

The only way to 'resolve' the problem when it happens is to close VW and reopen it until we can work out the problem here. It's a known problem the engineers have been working on since being aware of it.

Disregard my comments on the Print information.

That's an entirely different issue.

Are you on Win XP?

If you could keep a log of the types of things you are doing in VW up until you get the error message, that would help us out tremendously.

We are having a difficult time duplicating this problem in house. With the ability to duplicate the bug once (even better would be the ability to consistantly duplicate the problem), the engineers are able to resolve the problem quicker.

If you don't want to post the information directly here, you can email it to me and I can make sure our group gets the information ASAP.

katie@nemetschek.net

quote:

Originally posted by Katie:

Are you on Win XP?

If you could keep a log of the types of things you are doing in VW up until you get the error message, that would help us out tremendously.

We are having a difficult time duplicating this problem in house. With the ability to duplicate the bug once (even better would be the ability to consistantly duplicate the problem), the engineers are able to resolve the problem quicker.

Hi Katie,

I don't have a "log" of this problem, but I too encounter it frequently. Anecdotally (is this a word?), it seems to occur for me under two conditions, and primarily 1) When I have accessed the wall type dialog box to either add or edit a wall type - if I close the dialog box or exit without making any changes, I will get this error for the remainder of the session. 2) If I inadvertently start to edit wall cavities and then cancel the operation.

Trying to back-out (ctrl-z) to back up beyond the attempted edit does nothing to "restore" the file.

J Parkin - is this similar to your experience?

Mike

Thanks!

This is better than what I have thus far .. which isn't a whole lot.

I'm going to take this information and play with it to see if can duplicate the problem.

I'll let you know if I can or can't ..

In addition, I can take this to the engineers in the department for them to review.

Update -

i've reproduced something similar to this problem. It looks like we know more about where to head to find a resolution to this problem.

I'll be sure to reply again, should we need more information.

IF you happen to find the error again, try to remmeber what you did right before, OR if you find you get this error doing something totally different, please feel free to post here to email me at katie@nemetschek.net.

Thanks again