Label Legends / Schematic Views / Sidearms together

Bri

I'm running into a problem with label legends not showing properly in schematic views. I'm drawing fairly standard US-style sidelight booms (single pipe, using sidearms to hang the units.)

I'm using this opportunity to update my symbols to add clamps (and sidearms, and the like) as accessories. Part of the label struggle is related to the 2D/Plan view of the light on a sidearm; I'd like to show the light "forward" of the hanging position, but I don't want a line cutting across the symbol and obscuring the labels. I've arrived at using a 2D locus as the only 2D component of a hybrid sidearm symbol. This gets me close.

1870896227_2DSchematicView.thumb.png.5bf2008fa208de58b6eea388b6110513.png

As you can see, however, the labels are showing correctly in the Top/Plan version of the modeled boom (although this is 4 lights stacked on top of one another and not really readable; & ignore the bottom>top unit numbering). In the schematic, however, they are relating their positions to the insertion point of the symbol-with-accessory, not the layout symbol itself (the light).

For reference, here's what I am modeling and how I would LIKE it to look in schematic view. This isn't an actual schematic view; it is a plain 2D-drafted elevation. The version shown above would be acceptable if the labels were in the right spot.

906340581_BoomModel.png.b7374f9ebf5abc31c8c7d58734e6dbd9.png566757019_ClassicElevation.png.0c83bb3577f160f4b4417b31a095e807.png
I think the label issue may be a bug and I just need to find another solution until it is fixed, but any help or suggestions are appreciated. File attached if it helps.

Schematic Labels.vwx

• Like 1

Thanks for the webinar link. That is a good overview of the boom creation workflow, which is similar to how I am creating my booms and schematics.

It doesn't specifically address my question, however, which is about the mis-placed labels in the schematic view. The unit number in the schematic, for example, should be in the center of the symbol, but is instead shown at the base of the 2D symbol. When I added the sidearm as a "base" accessory I shifted the light forward (in the Edit Accessory mode) to more accurately show how the light would relate to its insertion point. The label legend doesn't seem to be acknowledging this shift.

I know I could fix it by not using the sidearm as an accessory, but instead making it part of the boom, but I was hoping clamps/sidearms/floor plates could all be treated the same in the new accessory workflow. Also, making the sidearm part of the boom expands the positions bounding box, making it harder to move the lights around in the schematic view without actually moving them in the model (because I need to get them outside the bounding box to trigger the witness line and de-associate the move).

Does the problem make sense? There is a sample file attached to my initial post.

On 7/5/2021 at 11:39 PM, TomWhiteLight said:

Yep this is easy to do and you can get it to give you what you want. we did a webinar on this I will send you a link, are you on VSS?

Tom can I get a link too please.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Bri Yep this will only work by making the boom arm part of the boom. We are still perfecting this workflow.

In the UK a Sidearm travels as an accessory to the light but we don't have too many of those. Most of the time we use doughty de-rig arms which travel with the hanging position, hence they are included within the hanging position.

here is the link for those that need it, its very out of date and not good as Mark D's in depth webinar