Clear "Open Recent" menu

Christiaan

Question

12 answers to this question

Upvoted.

Adding that this list is a liability for two reasons:

• Clients/colleagues opening project files instead of working files
  • Clients/colleagues/myself opening the wrong version of a file with a very similar name

Both user errors happen regularly with varying degrees of frequency.

• Like 3
On 5/20/2022 at 8:03 PM, Mark Aceto said:

Clients/colleagues/myself opening the wrong version of a file with a very similar name

I do this so often that I have a tendency to avoid File > Open Recent.

Two reasons it happens so often in my experience:

1. We save copies of our files each time we do a drawing issue, so they get added to the list with a near identical file name.

2. If we ever open a backup file that also gets added to the list with a very similar file name.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Christiaan said:

1. We save copies of our files each time we do a drawing issue, so they get added to the list with a near identical file name.

2. If we ever open a backup file that also gets added to the list with a very similar file name.

Same. I completely ignore it to avoid my own user error but then I watch my collaborators use it on a screen share, and it's a one-way ticket to Anxietyville when I see the hodgepodge of poorly named files, and it's anyone's guess which is the right one.

I always do a screenshare to get the rest of my team properly set up for project sharing, so I'd love to add the step of setting this to None, similar to Mac Sys Prefs (perhaps slightly different than this VE):

1561909299_ScreenShot2022-05-21at2_30_18PM.png.08964db761546fdcd12313f4603f2a1c.png

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, Christiaan said:

@Christiaan @Mark Aceto I never ever use the recent files menu for every reason y'all listed above.

• Like 1

I'm realizing this is a different thread than where this was recently discussed in the Beta forum, but just so it's stated here as well...

Now that 2023 has a Home Screen, this command should also clear out the recent files seen there. Particularly since the Home Screen displays thumbnails, this can be an issue when screen sharing versus trying to protect content protected under NDA. Some companies (D*sney/M*rvel for example) are very strict. Even file names could give away sensitive info...

• Like 3

Why does the Home Screen lock the menu bar.

I don't mind the new HS but I would like File>Open Recent to also work.

File>Batch Convert - do I really need to open a blank VW file before this can run?

File>Help likewise .....

File>Open works but after a little 'gulp' by VW first!  🤔

Edited by bcd
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, bcd said:

Why does the Home Screen lock the menu bar.

I don't mind the new HS but I would like File>Open Recent to also work.

File>Batch Convert - do I really need to open a blank VW file before this can run?

File>Help likewise .....

File>Open works but after a little 'gulp' by VW first!  🤔

There is a Wish List request for this and other functionality to be added back to the Home Screen. 

• Like 1