Site measuring tools

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I did not do anything about Moasure.  There seem to be systems popping up daily.  I did buy a Bosh laser tape measure.  Gotta say its pretty awesome.  Tough when measuring down a straight wall.  You'll need to make a target.  Mine is my note book jammed into what ever I can find.  My understanding, talking to some civil engineering friends, is that I'm way behind the times when it comes to site measurements.  

I use a regular laser measure. Aiming at the target can be a pain, especially when there are things like furniture or foliage in the way.

And it's not much good for outdoors measurements on a sunny day.

And while it can give me very accurate straight-line measurements it won't give you relative elevation heights. Those always have to worked out after the event.

I can see the attraction of the device in the OP. Presumably these types of things are going to become gradually cheaper and more commonplace.

• 6 months later...

I recently upgraded my Bosch laser measure to a Leica disto x4 with camera - much easier outside than chasing a small red dot!

Leica also has a point-to-point accessory (dst 360) which is a bit expensive but outputs dwg files.

I also have a stabila rotary laser for elevations.

...and lots of 300' tapes!

Note: I put some "highway" reflector tape on my onsite drawing board and a couple of other objects in my onsite kit - it really makes it easier to use the bosch red dot laser outside!

Also I did a bit of research on the moasure - downloaded the app, watch a bunch of videos- honestly it looks like a scam to me.

• 4 weeks later...

In looking at whats out there.  There are some systems introduced to me by Bryan G. during training sessions...Spectra Epoch and Emlid which I have not pulled the trigger on yet.  They are pricey but my understanding is that they do everything from elevations to point to point measurements.  I would guess they will plot to a cad file.  Anyone with experience on these?

As far as I can see, the biggest problem with all these systems is how to get the raw measuring data converted into a form that is useful in your chosen drawing software, which in our case is Vectorworks.

Measuring a wall in great detail, with great accuracy and very quickly is now easy: getting that to appear in Vectorworks drawn in a sensible way as a wall object (with appropriate door and window objects in it) is the tricky bit and still requires a large amount of manual intervention.

I asked an (inbiased) surveyor friend about Emlid and their opinion was there was far too much advertising and not enough function - the NZ agent told me if I could survey around trees if I could get LOS - surveyor said they were very dubious about that. I don't see singing praises of Emlid online & ditto for Moasure. I keep hoping for something less heavy duty than a robotic theodolite.

Funny I just spoke to a surveyor today.  He was using a system which cost his company around 9k and still leaves much to be desired.  He said outside of total station there is a bunch of correction work to be done in the office.  His feeling is that we are not to far off from a smart phone app being able to to "landscaper grade" site measurements.  I don't need really really accurate I just need pretty accurate but fast. 

• Like 1