VW2021 migration manager crashes, manually import workspace?

Ride

Question

I can't get the migration manager to stop crashing, and I'd like my 2020 workspace back. I see I can export the workspace, but I can't seem to do a manual import. Is this possible?

And if not, what could be crashing the migration manager? I've attached some report screenshots. It seems no matter what I select to migrate, it either crashes, or fails to import anything. It looks like ConnectCAD is failing. I don't even know what that is.

Thanks

VW2021Sp4, mid-2015 MacBook pro, Mojave.

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 12.33.31.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 12.33.40.png

5 answers to this question

On 7/1/2021 at 7:36 AM, Ride said:

I can't get the migration manager to stop crashing, and I'd like my 2020 workspace back.

Hi @Ride, 

And for anyone else who comes across this post in future: 

In the attempt you’ve provided a screenshot for, the option to migrate any workspaces was off. - Was this intentional? In fact all other options are off. Libraries, Templates, Preferences, Favourites. 

Also, the migration of ConnectCAD plugin data always always fails but doesn’t normally result in a crash and isn’t consequential (except for users of ConnectCAD tools). Although perhaps it does cause it to crash when all other data types are switched off as is shown in the example posted. 

11 hours ago, Payne Chang said:

Hi @Ride,

Do you still have this issue? I know you have posted this question a while ago. If you do, I should be able to help. Please let me know if there is anything I can help with the migration manager issue.

Sincerely,

Payne

Hi Payne. Yes, it's been a while, and I finally gave up and manually modified my workspace to match what I had in 2020. I did find that after multiple attempts to migrate things over and crashing or hanging, I ended up with 3 sets of everything. All my favourites were duplicated 3 times. So I had to manually go through and delete all those too. 

I hope the migration to 2022 goes smoother, but now I wonder how many duplicates of files are in my user folder that I'm not aware of....

11 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

Hi @Ride, 

And for anyone else who comes across this post in future: 

In the attempt you’ve provided a screenshot for, the option to migrate any workspaces was off. - Was this intentional? In fact all other options are off. Libraries, Templates, Preferences, Favourites. 

Also, the migration of ConnectCAD plugin data always always fails but doesn’t normally result in a crash and isn’t consequential (except for users of ConnectCAD tools). Although perhaps it does cause it to crash when all other data types are switched off as is shown in the example posted. 

Yes, it was intentional. I was trying determine, by process of elimination, what was causing the crashing. So I was toggling the different options off to see if it would work at all. It just happened that I took some screenshots and posted here after I have turned almost everything off and it still crashed.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Ride,

Thank you for the information. I am wondering if you have access to Jira, https://jira.vectorworks.net/, our bug report system. If you do, could you create a bug report and attach your zipped 2020 user folder so that I can investigate the crash. If you don't, you can attach your user folder here or sent it to me, pchang@vectorworks.net. The path of your 2020 user folder usually looks like /Users/user_name/Library/Application Support/Vectorworks/2020.

Best regards,

Payne