Class Mapping Tables (VW Arch to BS1192/ISO19650)

shorter

Question

We are developing a class mapping table to convert 'VW Arch' classes to the BS1192/ISO19650 classes we have recently released.  We will be happy to share this when it's finished.

The mapping table will work when using the 'Class and Layer Mapping' command, but also when exporting DWG by selecting the appropriate class/layer mapping table in the DWG export dialog.

It would be great if Vectorworks would also provide this function within the IFC export settings too.

For the time-being you will have to continue to use the class/layer mapping command, despite this being more long-winded.

Screenshot 2021-06-30 at 13.37.21.png

• Like 4

25 answers to this question

@shorter  I'm not sure if this Wishlist item is the proper place for this, but it seems as good a place as the other related threads.  I'm starting to rebuild a clean new default template for VW23 Architect.  I would like to start with the VW Imperial defaults, and then use Class Mapping and/or the Standard Naming to change the Class structure to use my office standard.  I understand the benefits of using an industry standard, but as a sole practitioner I've developed a workflow that meets my needs.  

In addition to None and Dimension, the Help system lists the following auto-classesNonPlot, Redlines, Guides, Site-DTM-Modifier, Framer-Block, Framer-Sole Plate, Framer-Header, Framer-Stud, Framer-Sill,  Framer-Top Plate. There are many more Classes created automatically (Resources, PIO, Section Viewports, etc).  Is there a comprehensive list available and/or are they all covered within the Standard Naming settings and/or do I just have to constantly hunt them down and add them as they crop up and proliferate?  

Is the best way to set this up by editing the Worksheets created by the Standard Naming setting?  Any other advice?

• Like 1
On 4/13/2023 at 2:19 AM, E|FA said:

@shorter  I'm not sure if this Wishlist item is the proper place for this, but it seems as good a place as the other related threads.  I'm starting to rebuild a clean new default template for VW23 Architect.  I would like to start with the VW Imperial defaults, and then use Class Mapping and/or the Standard Naming to change the Class structure to use my office standard.  I understand the benefits of using an industry standard, but as a sole practitioner I've developed a workflow that meets my needs.  

In addition to None and Dimension, the Help system lists the following auto-classesNonPlot, Redlines, Guides, Site-DTM-Modifier, Framer-Block, Framer-Sole Plate, Framer-Header, Framer-Stud, Framer-Sill,  Framer-Top Plate. There are many more Classes created automatically (Resources, PIO, Section Viewports, etc).  Is there a comprehensive list available and/or are they all covered within the Standard Naming settings and/or do I just have to constantly hunt them down and add them as they crop up and proliferate?  

Is the best way to set this up by editing the Worksheets created by the Standard Naming setting?  Any other advice?

As far as I am aware, the standard i.e. VW auto-classing class names are listed in the Standard Naming worksheets.  I have lost count how many times I have asked for a full list and never received one.

So, please add to this list if you are aware of any more... 

Nota bene: before anyone asks, this is the list in the 'VWArch' column in the 'ClassNameStds' worksheet generated when using the Standard Naming command.  They are not my classes.  And yes they are that inconsistent in terms of the number of fields in the class name, whether they are written using PascalCase or not, and yes they do contain illegal characters...such as spaces, forward slashes and brackets.

Graphics-CenterLine
Graphics-Cut-Heavy
Graphics-Cut-Medium
Graphics-Profile-ExtraLight
Graphics-Profile-ExtraHeavy
Graphics-Profile-Heavy
Graphics-Profile-Light
Graphics-Profile-Medium
Graphics-Hidden
Graphics-Overhead
Area-Main
Area-Patterns
Area-Spec
Ceiling-Fixtures
Ceiling-Main
Ceiling-Overhead
Ceiling-Spec
Component-Cavity
Component-CW Cap
Component-CW Frame
Component-CW Glass
Component-CW Panel
Component-Decking
Component-Decking (Wd)
Component-Ext Finish
Component-Fill
Component-Finish
Component-Fire-120
Component-Fire-30
Component-Fire-60
Component-Fire-90
Component-Landscape
Component-Hardscape
Component-Ribs/Framing
Component-Struct
Controls
DataComm-Devices
DataComm-Spec
Demolition
Dimension
Door-Frame/Trim
Door-Hardware
Door-Main
Door-Panel
Door-Plan
Door-Sills
Door-Spec
Door-Swing-Elevation
Door-Swing-Plan
Electrical-Devices
Electrical-Lighting
Electrical-Spec
Equipment-Main
Equipment-Spec
Fire Safety-Alarm
Fire Safety-Main
Fire Safety-Spec
Fire Sprinkler-Main
Fire Sprinkler-Spec
Fixtures-Main
Fixtures-Spec
Floor Breaks
Floor-Patt
Furniture-Main
Furniture-Spec
Glazing-Clear
Glazing-Opaque
Glazing-Smoked
Guide-ADA
Guides
HVAC-Controls
HVAC-Diffusers
HVAC-Duct/Equipment
HVAC-Piping
HVAC-Spec
Irrigation-Main
Irrigation-spec
Landscape-Areas
Landscape-Features
Landscape-Plants
Landscape-Spec
Landscape-Water
Millwork-Main
Millwork-Spec
None
NonPlot
Notes-Model
Notes-Redlines
Notes-Sheet
Patterns
Plants-Component-Bloom
Plants-Component-Canopy
Plants-Component-Color Fill
Plants-Component-Interior Linework
Plants-Component-Outline
Plants-Component-Tags
Plants-Main
Plants-Spec
Plants-Tree-Exist-3D Canopy
Plants-Tree-Exist-3D Trunk
Plants-Tree-Exist-Significance
Plants-Tree-Exist-Root Zones
Plants-Tree-Exist-Spec
Plants-Tree-Exist-TPZ
Plants-Trees
Plants-Trees-Spec
Plumbing-CW Piping
Plumbing-Fixtures
Plumbing-Gas
Plumbing-HW Piping
Plumbing-Sanitary
Plumbing-Spec
Plumbing-Storm
Roof-Main
Roof-Spec
Room-Name
Security
Signage-Main
Signage-Spec
Sills
Site-Building
Site-Cars
Site-DTM-Modifier
Site-Hardscape Comp-Border Joint
Site-Hardscape Comp-Main Joint
Site-Hardscape Comp-Spec
Site-Hardscape Component-Spec
Site-Hardscape Comp-Slope Arrow
Site-Improvements
Site-Improve-Spec
Site-Paving
Site-Paving-Curb
Site-Paving-Marking
Site-Paving-Spec
Site-Paving-Stations
Site-Paving-Surface
Site-Property
Site-Property-Esmt
Site-Property-Spec
Site-Topography
Site-Topography-Spec
Site-Trees
Site-Trees-Spec
Site-Util-Power
Site-Util-Spec
Site-Util-Storm
Sound
Space-Main
Space-Patterns
Space-Patterns
Space-Spec
Space Spec
Structural-Columns
Structural-Footings
Structural-Framing
Structural-Grid
Structural-Slab
Structural-Spec
Vert Trans-Main
Vert Trans-Spec
Wall-Exterior
Wall-Fire
Wall-Interior
Wall-Int-Partial
Wall-Spec
Window-Frame
Window-Main
Window-Sill
Window-Spec
Window-Swing-Elevation
Window-Swing-Plan
Window-Trim

Auto-classing objects is an absolute pain.  I know you are trying to help but there has to be a way to stop it, like not having to install and then delete loads of default content that we don't want and don't need and we find screws up our schedules when it's present or makes our output non-compliant and we risk it being returned to us as non-compliant.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shorter said:

Auto-classing objects is an absolute pain.  I know you are trying to help but there has to be a way to stop it, like not having to install and then delete loads of default content that we don't want and don't need and we find screws up our schedules when it's present or makes our output non-compliant and we risk it being returned to us as non-compliant.

TBH, I've given up.  I just deal with the auto-generated classes on a case by case basis as I discover them.  My use case is very different than yours.  You're trying to comply with external compliance requirements, and I'm trying to maintain a coherent "in-house" system.  The current situation is problematic for both sides.

As you noted, it would take a real overhaul of the VW Installer to allow selective installation of content.  At the very least, it shouldn't install content for licenses I don't own (Landscape, Entertainment in my case).  I'm guessing most users would also like to choose only metric or imperial.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 9/16/2023 at 12:46 AM, E|FA said:

It did for me (twice in this file, creating 2 classes), which is how I found out about it.  Is this a bug?:

DataTagClass.png.2abcd0b3f553f7a8c47ae7879c003c6e.png

Hello @E|FA,

In VW 2023 this is a temporary class which should usually get deleted once you exit the Edit Tag Layout context. However, there are some edge cases that can make it remain, such as switching from one view to another when using multiple views, or saving the file while in the edit tag layout context and then closing and reopening it.

Anyway, all these are fixed in VW 2024 as this class is not used anymore. If you still have it you can delete it without causing any problems.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 2

Could you please review the whole 'auto-anything' settings.

Just created a Data Tag.  Put the Data Tag in a Symbol Folder, renaming the auto-generated 'Data Tag Styles' folder, 'SSL-Labels-Tags'.

Import the renamed symbol folder into another file and the used the data tag created and it's gone and created a new folder called ' 'Data Tag Styles' !!!  Argh!  Groundhog day and another few precious seconds of my life I won't get back!

2 minutes ago, shorter said:

Just created a Data Tag.  Put the Data Tag in a Symbol Folder, renaming the auto-generated 'Data Tag Styles' folder, 'SSL-Labels-Tags'.

Import the renamed symbol folder into another file and the used the data tag created and it's gone and created a new folder called ' 'Data Tag Styles' !!!  Argh!  Groundhog day and another few precious seconds of my life I won't get back!

Can you please add a bug for this with test file and steps to reproduce? Thanks!

10 minutes ago, shorter said:

This annoys me too + I posted about it a few months back:

I ended up renaming my 'Data Tags' folder 'Data Tag Styles' to prevent VW creating its own version all the time! But we shouldn't have to fall in line with VW's ideas about how folders should be named. I'm pretty sure that it's only Data Tags which do this.

Just now, Tom W. said:

This annoys me too + I posted about it a few months back:

I ended up renaming my 'Data Tags' folder 'Data Tag Styles' to prevent VW creating its own version all the time! But we shouldn't have to fall in line with VW's ideas about how folders should be named. I'm pretty sure that it's only Data Tags which do this.

Does this happen in VW 2024 too? We have done some fixes on this topic (I have to check the fix version, but it should be not later than VW 2024) so it should not happen anymore. That is why if this is happening in VW 2024 I want to know the steps to reproduce to see if any workflow was missed with the fix.

7 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Does this happen in VW 2024 too? We have done some fixes on this topic (I have to check the fix version, but it should be not later than VW 2024) so it should not happen anymore. That is why if this is happening in VW 2024 I want to know the steps to reproduce to see if any workflow was missed with the fix.

Have just tested in VW2024 + if I import a Data Tag resource into a file, it doesn't automatically create a 'Data Tag Styles' Resource Folder. But if I select the tool then select a Data Tag from outside the file via the Resource Selector + bring the tag into the file that way, the tag is automatically placed in a new 'Data Tag Styles' folder if one with that name doesn't exist already.

1 minute ago, Tom W. said:

Have just tested in VW2024 + if I import a Data Tag resource into a file, it doesn't automatically create a 'Data Tag Styles' Resource Folder. But if I select the tool then select a Data Tag from outside the file via the Resource Selector + bring the tag into the file that way, the tag is automatically placed in a new 'Data Tag Styles' folder if one with that name doesn't exist already.

Yes, this is the default behavior. I suppose that we can change it to import in the same folder as in the source file, if any? But if you move your data tag style in another folder it should remain there, even if you select it again from the tool. Meaning we only place in this default folder the newly imported styles.

5 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

Yes, this is the default behavior. I suppose that we can change it to import in the same folder as in the source file, if any? But if you move your data tag style in another folder it should remain there, even if you select it again from the tool. Meaning we only place in this default folder the newly imported styles.

Any other resource you can just import into a file + do whatever you want with it: it doesn't bring its own folder with it. So this behaviour is unique to Data Tags. I am unaffected because I don't mind having a folder named 'Data Tag Styles' but if for whatever reason like @shorter you want to call it something else this is a monumental pain because yes, you can move the tag after importing it to your folder of choice then delate the automatically created one but the same thing will happen for every subsequent tag you import.

Why do newly imported Data Tag Styles need their own special folder when no other resource does?

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Any other resource you can just import into a file + do whatever you want with it: it doesn't bring its own folder with it. So this behaviour is unique to Data Tags. I am unaffected because I don't mind having a folder named 'Data Tag Styles' but if for whatever reason like @shorter you want to call it something else this is a monumental pain because yes, you can move the tag after importing it to your folder of choice then delate the automatically created one but the same thing will happen for every subsequent tag you import.

Why do newly imported Data Tag Styles need their own special folder when no other resource does?

- Other styles that do the same are:

TitleBlockBorder
 MarionetteNode
 DetailCallout
 DrawingLabel
 ElevationBenchmark
 InteriorElevation
 ReferenceMarker
 SectionElevationLine

The reason behind this is to keep the styles of these objects at one place instead of having them spread everywhere or fill the resource manager space, but it seems like this is also causing issues. What I see with other tools that import styles is that they just remain in the root of the resource manager, which I think would still require you to move them to your folder?

Can you tell me which tool is importing the styles at the folders that you would want it to?

3 minutes ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

- Other styles that do the same are:

TitleBlockBorder
 MarionetteNode
 DetailCallout
 DrawingLabel
 ElevationBenchmark
 InteriorElevation
 ReferenceMarker
 SectionElevationLine

The reason behind this is to keep the styles of these objects at one place instead of having them spread everywhere or fill the resource manager space, but it seems like this is also causing issues. What I see with other tools that import styles is that they just remain in the root of the resource manager, which I think would still require you to move them to your folder?

Can you tell me which tool is importing the styles at the folders that you would want it to?

You're right apologies I actually thought I'd remembered seeing some of these create their own folders in the past but it didn't happen when I tested. I realise now that that was because I didn't import the resource via the Resource Selector. These particular styles I very rarely insert using their respective tools which is why I've hardly ever seen them generate their own folder. So for me, the only issue is Data Tags because I do frequently select the style via the Resource Selector.

When I select Wall Styles, Slab Styles, Roof Styles, Hardscape Styles, Landscape Area Styles, Door/Window Styles, etc via the Resource Selector they just come into the file at the top level. They don't go into automatically-generated folders + this is how I'd personally prefer Data Tags to behave.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Tom W. said:

You're right apologies I actually thought I'd remembered seeing some of these create their own folders in the past but it didn't happen when I tested. I realise now that that was because I didn't import the resource via the Resource Selector. These particular styles I very rarely insert using their respective tools which is why I've hardly ever seen them generate their own folder. So for me, the only issue is Data Tags because I do frequently select the style via the Resource Selector.

When I select Wall Styles, Slab Styles, Roof Styles, Hardscape Styles, Landscape Area Styles, Door/Window Styles, etc via the Resource Selector they just come into the file at the top level. They don't go into automatically-generated folders + this is how I'd personally prefer Data Tags to behave.

- Okay, thanks for the feedback and clarification. I will add this to our database so that it can be considered.

5 hours ago, Tom W. said:

+1

On 9/16/2023 at 12:04 PM, E|FA said:

As you noted, it would take a real overhaul of the VW Installer to allow selective installation of content.  At the very least, it shouldn't install content for licenses I don't own (Landscape, Entertainment in my case).  I'm guessing most users would also like to choose only metric or imperial.

See and vote for Wishlist item: