Floating tools/palettes quick organise

Hello good people of VW world!

I use a laptop with an external 30" monitor both in the office and at home and sometimes out and about with just the laptop's screen.

I find it a little frustrating each time I change from one setup to another that I have to move my palettes, into a convenient position (top left corner, stacked one above the other, unpinned). I usually have my scripts palette, attributes, snapping, resource manager and sometimes saved views.

Is there a clever way of making them go back to their 'normal position'. I realise there is the docking option but from what I can tell that takes up too much real estate (e.g. the attributes palette is stretched full height).

Your thoughts and ideas welcome....

Thanks,

R

There is no really good way to do this except by docking the palettes around the drawing area. Personally I have all my palettes docked except for the Resource manager which I have set to fold up when I'm not using it. (Some other folk may have other solutions)

If Palettes are taking up too much space then you could investigate the Auto-Hide Docked palettes, which hides them when you are not using them and reveals them when you hover your cursor nearby. I don't know why the Attributes palette is stretched full height for you.

There is a Save Palette positions command which seems rather unnecessary as it doesn't allow you to save a name and/or date and seeing as the palette positions save when the program is closed anyway I can't think of a use for it.  Perhaps that could be an enhancement request for this command?

This is what I have currently and it works well on both a laptop and a large screen

892997411_Screenshot2021-06-30at12_35_43.thumb.png.1b48cae01654b2b517d5d0a82b82a043.png

Hi @markdd,

My setup is near identical to your own. I have resource manager unpinned so it hides when not needed (though I am finding command/ctrl+R to switch it on/off an easy alternative especially if it is expanded out 'big').

My problem arises when connecting and disconnecting my external monitors (with Windows extended desktop!) that the palettes get left or 'dumped' in odd places and need to be moved back each time. A faff, but not the end of the world. Just wondered if I haven't got a box ticked or there was a quick way to restore them to their normal place.

I think it is because the palettes are not attached to the main VW window (parent/child thing).. so are allowed to sit anywhere on an extended desktop.

Ill take a look at the save palette positions thing - it might be what I am missing, otherwise a feature request will be born..

Thanks as always.

R

3 hours ago, Ross McLee said:

My problem arises when connecting and disconnecting my external monitors (with Windows extended desktop!) that the palettes get left or 'dumped' in odd places and need to be moved back each time.

Shouldn't this be fixed automatically, with soon coming Windows 11 ?

Edited by zoomer
  • Like 1