Hide CTP Panel Names in Sheet Layer

Thomas_

Is there a way to hide CTP panel names in the sheet layer?  Or an alternative to have them display to the side of the object in the 2D rack view (And thus sheet layer) maybe?  I ask as I am trying to, for instance, use a crop on a viewport in 2D rack elevations, to give a detail of some custom panels I need a contractor to make for the system, but the text of the title gets in the way of clearly reading the drawing.  If I make the text above, it gets in the way of other panels.  See screenshots for examples, the first is on a sheet layer, where I am trying to do detail viewports of the panels for the contractor to see, the second is on the design layer, where you can see if I made that network patch CTP label above, it would interfere with reading the equipment above it (The UPS).

Thank you!

Thomas Vecchione

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 11.23.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-06-29 at 11.24.24 PM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Also you can set the Text Align parameter to Above.

Thanks for sending the images of how you are using custom panels. Originally I had not envisaged these being used to depict standard rack mount panels. When I was a designer they never gave me enough time to draw these things in that level of detail. Now that I see what you are doing I will keep that in mind and see how we can accomodate this better.

Thanks

Conrad

On 6/30/2021 at 6:26 AM, Thomas_ said:

Is there a way to hide CTP panel names in the sheet layer?  Or an alternative to have them display to the side of the object in the 2D rack view (And thus sheet layer) maybe?  I ask as I am trying to, for instance, use a crop on a viewport in 2D rack elevations, to give a detail of some custom panels I need a contractor to make for the system, but the text of the title gets in the way of clearly reading the drawing.  If I make the text above, it gets in the way of other panels.  See screenshots for examples, the first is on a sheet layer, where I am trying to do detail viewports of the panels for the contractor to see, the second is on the design layer, where you can see if I made that network patch CTP label above, it would interfere with reading the equipment above it (The UPS).

Thank you!

Thomas Vecchione

This. And ability to hide CTP_ prefix. Maybe use TAG on this also? Tag could automagically remove prefix and leave only the rest. Also ability to control text placement and style/size more easily. In pictures below we could only show last letter as ID of panel on Rack frame. With freely movable Tag this could be done (like the way we move Cable name tag with handle on Cables).

Installer does not need the CTP_ info, this is mainly for VW/CC to identify that Device goes to this defined Equipment and is Custom Panel.

Maybe the Panel name/Tag could be on some layer that you can turn of if not needed.

We also use custom panels mainly to illustrate rack panels because we are usually responsible only panels on rack side and if we are take care of field panels we try to make at least bigger panels somehow in form of "rack paneling" so it is easy to terminate cables and connectors on field.

image.png.ab87e94a9f7ac65bf931bb12587b2eea.png

In this case text on above is only worst solution. Now text offsets by one rack unit and it is difficult to read.

VS. text centered:

image.png.b9e61339e59a22dcdb91aa31de11d8c3.png

-Arto

• Like 1

Agree with Arto.  The problem with Text Above is when you have multiple panels on top of each other it gets confusing, and while it may make sense to in some cases make those a single panel, in one system I am working on right now I have to work with what is already there and my documentation needs to reflect it, so it isn't always a possibility for that reason, or because it wouldn't make sense to recreate, for instance, a Cat6 patch panel vs an off the shelf one, just because I need to add a few more XLR or whatever under it.

Ill give the text size thing a shot though, that may help.  It may also be the best answer to another question I have I am going to post about in a moment...

Thomas