When Layer Import Referencing...

shorter

Question

...it would be very useful if we had an opportunity to ignore objects in sepcified classes. 

Just referencing an imported site model, and the horrendous ACAD trees take up 9/10th of the incoming model and it's taking ages to reference.  If only I could untick the class 'Trees' when referencing and have Vectorworks ignore, i.e. not reference, the trees.

7 answers to this question

Yes. It would not resolve this issue, would it?

We don't use viewport referencing for a long, long list of reasons.

The question was in relation to layer referencing.

Viewport referencing would not remove the unwanted data from the referenced file, which is what I want.

I have site model.  The site model is huge.  It contains trees.  I don't want to reference the trees in at all.  But I also do not want to delete them from the original or make a copy of the original file.

Having an option to 'ignore' the objects in the class 'Trees' would make the file I am referencing lighter.

The only analogy I can think of is the list of elements you get when importing an IFC.  I can tick all elements, or opt to not import 'ifcFlowTerminal' objects thereby making the resulting vectorworks file lighter.

Edited by shorter

You can just turn the tree class off with Viewport referencing and as vp referencing doesn’t import the geometry like layer referencing it should lighten things up.

Some other ideas:

Put the trees on a different layer in the referenced file. Ie remove them from the reference layer.

Reference a copy of the reference file and delete the trees.

• Like 1

I do not want to modify the original. A viewport will still bring the geometry with it. It is just turned off. This is very different from it not being there at all. The original file is not mine to modify.

I could opt to not reference the file at all! That would do part of what I am asking for.  There are lots of workarounds. I am not looking for a workaround.

In this instance the file I am referencing is impossible to use. I cannot open it. I am referencing it in order to create a copy since there is no way of opening the original hoping the original will be better behaved.

in doing so it would be very useful to choose what to reference and not have the whole file referenced with whatever class I choose not to reference ignored and not imported by the reference.

am I not explaining this very well?