Data tag - snapping to wrong objects

DSmith2300

Question

Copy from 'Site Design' to get wider viewing:

Hi,

A couple of us in the office are trying to use data tags instead of 'inbuilt' plant tags as a more flexible labelling option.

An issue that we cannot seem to solve is that sometime when symbols overlap, the data tag refuses to recognise the other other plant unless pointed to an awkward, unsatisfactory edge of the symbol. 

This particularly happens with plant multiples where the large rectangular 'aura' of the species (rows, groups etc.) is much larger than the visible total of the actual symbols

Is there a way to change the snapping focus on the fly? Something like 'ALT' or 'B' ? (tried these - no help)

I've tried deleting a plant, creating a tag, then putting the plant back in and trying to create a another tag, but the focus merely shifts and is still incorrect. 

Many thanks for any help or suggestions.

screen-grabVW.jpg

7 answers to this question

I have no practical experience of this but I remember seeing in a video by Katarina Ollikainen her saying she always inserts data Tags on the Design Layer to make selecting overlapping plants easier (although in the example on the video she was doing it in the VP annotations layer!)

Thanks Tom.

I have tried it in the design layer and yes it's somewhat easier. This of course means multiple design tag layers or tag classes if one does not wish to display them all on every page. The coordination of these can quickly get out of hand with multiple overlapping sheets on larger jobs.  Hence the alleged ease of placing them in the annotation dimension within viewports. 

• Like 1

I have had this issue too, I've found that using "toward target object mode" instead of "toward data tag mode' is MUCH more usable.

This is contrary to my normal workflow, but I have(am still trying) changed because the awkwardness in selecting grouped planting object is so frustrating.

Contrary to what Tom W said of Katarina Ollikainen recommends, I always use plant callout data tags in viewport annotation space - never on design layers.

I believe @Tamsin Slatter recommends that they are used there - but maybe she will see this a correct me!

I do use data tags for landscape and hardscape areas in both design layers and sheet layers... I'm still trying to figure out best practice for myself.

I haven't run into this problem with my planting designs and I place my data tags in the annotation space.

However, a suitable work around for this selection issue might be to place your plants on different design layers or classes.  You can then turn them off to make selection easier.  I commonly use design layers for Trees, Shrubs, Accents, and Ground Covers anyhow.

Simply turn off the appropriate design layers within the viewport to make selection easier and then turn them back on.

Hope it helps, hope I never run into this issue 😉

• Like 1

Thanks.

Might a be work around but 90% of the time we just put them all on the same class. Seems more work but I'll try it. 

It's more of an arrangement issue if some group of plants is larger or more spread out than another. 

Should be a selective snapping thing where you can cycle through the things that the tool thinks it's touching.