Tools >>> Custom Selection >>> Select Only >>> Select Objects Whose...

I drew this I-beam and when I run the aforementioned "Tools >>> Custom Selection >>> Select Only >>> Select Objects Whose..." Class is this I-beam spanner, the count is incorrect.

If I run the tool with Symbol as the qualifier, the count is correct. 

Can anyone explain this to me? Is there something I can do when creating the Symbol, or modify the existing Symbol, to get an accurate count using Class?

PSI 4x6x75%22 I-beam v2021.vwx

You have a group and a symbol, both in the class I-beam spanner.  So you are getting the correct count:  1 symbol and 1 group.

So you either have to move the group to a different class or add Type is not Group to the criteria.

For the same reason, make sure you don't have Include components of Symbols checked.  If checked, then anything in the symbol definition that was in that class would also be included in the count.

21 hours ago, michaelk said:

You have a group and a symbol, both in the class I-beam spanner.  So you are getting the correct count:  1 symbol and 1 group.

So you either have to move the group to a different class or add Type is not Group to the criteria.

For the same reason, make sure you don't have Include components of Symbols checked.  If checked, then anything in the symbol definition that was in that class would also be included in the count.

Thanks Michael. Please pardon my ignorance, but could you explain to me why I have a Group and a Symbol? Is it because of how I originally drew the I-beam?

Edited by Chris Burton

I don't think it has anything to do with the way you made the symbol.  Unless you made it a blue symbol with a symbol inside a symbol?  Seems unlikely.

Open the file you posted. Not sure if it was intentional, but the symbol was inside a group. 

So if you did a select all the oip would tell you that you have selected one group. 

Go inside the group and select all and the oip would tell you that you have selected one 3D symbol. 

The criteria is counting both the group and the symbol. 

20 hours ago, michaelk said:

I don't think it has anything to do with the way you made the symbol.  Unless you made it a blue symbol with a symbol inside a symbol?  Seems unlikely.

Open the file you posted. Not sure if it was intentional, but the symbol was inside a group. 

So if you did a select all the oip would tell you that you have selected one group. 

Go inside the group and select all and the oip would tell you that you have selected one 3D symbol. 

The criteria is counting both the group and the symbol. 

I think that when I originally drew it I made it a Group. And then when I figured out that to give something a height (Z-dimension) it needed to be a Symbol, I converted it.

I just went back in and took it back to just an Extrude and then created the Symbol. Now it shows up as 1 when I select its Class.

Many, many thanks!