Freezes on start-up. Re-install doesn't work

Eric Swan

Question

I've got VW Spotlight 2020 on a 2018 MacBook Pro.  I had a problem with it locking up during launch, so I did a re-install.  It didn't help.  Then I trashed the VW folder, and did an Install.  Nope.  Then I did a deeper search and this time also trashed the library files.  Still no luck.

In desperate need at this point, I created a second user on my Mac, and installed it there.  It opened, and I was able to do what I needed to do.  That install has it's own problems, but I'll address them in another post.

My question here is, how can I do a complete un-install and start over with my original user account?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Even though you're on a Mac, you should use the dedicated Vectorworks 'Uninstall' app found in the Vectorworks application folder. Dragging it into the Bin won't remove other (hidden) components that might be causing the problem/s. You haven't mentioned whether you removed your Vectorworks User Folder which is the most common cause of problems. Removing (not deleting, if you have stuff in it you need to keep) is a crucial factor.  I would

1. Reinstall Vectorworks in your usual login, then
  2. Run the 'Uninstall' application. (If you have a Vectorworks User Folder with contents you need to keep, choose to keep it, when asked, but you'll need to rename it or move it elsewhere before you install again to rule out this variable). 
  3. Restart your Mac. 
  4. IF you have antivirus installed, disable it now. 
  5. Install Vectorworks again. 

If installing Vectorworks on another user account had issues too, then that suggests the issue might be caused by either a software conflict (uncommon) or that your operating system needs to be repaired or reinstalled (also rare, but more likely) - which is good to do every now and then anyway. 

• Like 2
On 6/27/2021 at 5:51 PM, Jeremy Best said:

Even though you're on a Mac, you should use the dedicated Vectorworks 'Uninstall' app found in the Vectorworks application folder. Dragging it into the Bin won't remove other (hidden) components that might be causing the problem/s. You haven't mentioned whether you removed your Vectorworks User Folder which is the most common cause of problems. Removing (not deleting, if you have stuff in it you need to keep) is a crucial factor.  I would

1. Reinstall Vectorworks in your usual login, then
  2. Run the 'Uninstall' application. (If you have a Vectorworks User Folder with contents you need to keep, choose to keep it, when asked, but you'll need to rename it or move it elsewhere before you install again to rule out this variable). 
  3. Restart your Mac. 
  4. IF you have antivirus installed, disable it now. 
  5. Install Vectorworks again. 

If installing Vectorworks on another user account had issues too, then that suggests the issue might be caused by either a software conflict (uncommon) or that your operating system needs to be repaired or reinstalled (also rare, but more likely) - which is good to do every now and then anyway. 

Hey Jeremy,

My fault for not being clear.  My first reinstall was done using the "uninstaller".  No joy.  Then I started looking for the bad file on my own. 

The install on a separate partition had a different problem.  It opens and runs fine. My issue with it is "Lightning Tape" related.

I appreciate the help, thank you.