Site Modeling

JMTLA

This is my first time trying to use the site modeling application of landmark. Could someone tell me exactly what type of survey file I need to ask for from the engineers. Does this file type have a specific name that they surveyor would recognize to be able to send to me?

Any other tips would be great too.

Thanks for your help.

I've done the exploding of the Auto CAD file, imported it into VW by selecting 3D only, then went to site model & set the properties and I recieve a misc. error 20,2. Any idea what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you for your help.

There are a few variables to know, but primarily, if your surveyors use land development, have them explode the file and save it to a 2004 dwg file. When importing, make sure to select 3D in the options dialoge box. The choice 2D & 3D will not import the dwg with 3D ploys.

After I do this, what step am I supposed to follow in the manual, Importing Source Data from an External File or Adding Source data with 2D Polygons? I tried this with a 2000 DWG file and then followed the steps for the Adding Source Data with 2D Polygons, but no polygons were found. The manual doesn't explain any of this very well. Do I have to have a 2004 DWG, b/c I have Auto CAD 2000 in the office?

• 2 weeks later...

I get the 20,2 error when creating a model from imported autocad lines. I first converted them to 3d polys, applied the correct heights ("Z"-values) and then tried to create a site using the DTM. I also tried to simplify the polys or to convert them to 3d loci. In both cases I still get the 20,2 error.

Now I tried to clean the polys: How can I locate the intersection points? To what do the coordinates given by the check-command refer? Looking up the location with the X- and Y-coordinate on the upper left side of the window... I find a sector of the file where there is nothing... empty!!

Anyway: When converting the polys to loci I shouldn't go on getting the 20,2 message (because there are no intersections anymore, are there?), but it still appears... WHAT CAN I DO?

Info: I have 558 polys which become 2283 loci when converted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

holsteinson, you can indeed import a file in YXZ (northing, easting, elevation) format in either tab-delimited or CSV (comma-delimited) format using the "Import Survey Data" command. Have you tried this? (The only trick I think is to make sure the extension of the file is TXT, even if it is a CSV file. You set the format of the file in the command.)