Line color to line weight conversion (long)

Ian D

We are about to start work on the Federal Courthouse here in Seattle. As it is a Federal Project, we are required by contract to save the drawings for the client in .DWG format, and furthermore we will be exchanging drawings with our consultants who are all using AutoCAD themselves.

In the past it has not been an issue, because we have had relatively few drawings to pass back and forth, and we were in control of the layering and lineweight situation. For this project in particular, we are required to use a subset of the CAD standards that are federally mandated.

The question is this: is there a way to save the lineweight-to-color conversion values as a table somewhere so that we can batch import/export DWG files into/out of Vectoworks?

Is there someone that has written a VectorScript to do this?

Is there someone you would recommend to write a Vectorscript to do this?

Nemetschek Tech Support has stated that there is currently no way to save these values in tabular form. (similar to ctb and pcp files in AutoCAD)

Nemetschek Tech Support has suggested that lineweights can be used in AutoCad 2000. Unfortunately we don't have control over what the consultants use, and as stated above, we are mandated to use DWG's or DXF's with line colors.

This is going to be a very big project, and anything that can be done to automate this process would be greatly appreciated.

I would even recommend putting this on a wish list for the next version of Vectorworks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you look at the VectorScript Function Reference that comes with VW, in its appendix, you will find the table of VS preferences for DWG/DXF:

DXF Preference Selectors

Preference

Selector

Preference Data Type

Function

Auto Units300

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Units

INTEGER

PrefInt

DXF Units Per Inch

REAL

PrefReal

Auto Model Space Scale

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Model Space Scale

REAL

PrefReal

2D 3D Import Handling

INTEGER

PrefInt

Map Layers to Classes

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Convert MLines to Walls

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Convert Rays and XLines

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Scale Dash Lengths

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Dash Length Scale

REAL

PrefReal

Auto Block Attribute Handling

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Block Attribute Handling

INTEGER

PrefInt

Auto Point Handling

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Convert Points to Loci

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Point Symbols are Guides

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Map Colors to Line Weights

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Set Line Colors Black

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Paper Space Units

INTEGER

PrefInt

Auto Scale Dash Lenghts

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Group Record Fields

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

Auto Line Weight Handling

TRUE or FALSE

Pref

There's no way currently, tho VW should remember your settings for the session and fill the dialog with previously chosen values.

The best way to handle this currently is probably to turn off color to lineweight mapping and write a script that modifies the drawing after import and before export, or maybe just modify a copy of the drawing when you need to print and work in colors the rest of the time.

Often the objects will all come in as "by layer" which can map to "by class", so you could possibly just modify class attributes with a script.

Well, you can't beat straight forward honesty!

However, it is like a warning, "mine field ahead" for those of us who are consultants, mechanical/strctural/electrical/civil/fire protection/landscape engineers who are out there on "macs" and have to deal with reality. They never promised us a rose garden. I love V'works, it's so much better than A'cad, but all the interface in the world, won't satisfy the need to live with the standard. And to add insult to injury, the hardware is a hell of a lot cheaper. Is it better to pay 50% less for hardware and 400% more for software, that is the question-to be or not to be... Guys, you got to figure it out

quote:

Originally posted by jodawi:

Often the objects will all come in as "by layer" which can map to "by class", so you could possibly just modify class attributes with a script.

And perhaps the best way to do that is my free 'Cloning around' collection on VectorDepot.

Once you have configured your class attributes (well, twice - for import & for export) you can save the settings to be used in new/other documents.

• 2 years later...

I have a an idea. I would work to my advantage, may be not yours, for VW to have the ability to print all as black and white, which it does have, but with the exception of the gray scales. In this way all colors would print black, but all gray scales would remain gray. Then I could draw as I am accustomed to black screen colors representing line weights, and grays being grays.