IFC Export - Multiple site models

Poot

Hello everyone,

I am wondering if it is possible to export multiple site models within the same drawing into a single IFC file.  As you can see below, I have modelled a project in several areas each as their own model.  The best result I have had so far is just getting one site alone with the constructed elements.  Perhaps there is another solution or workflow? (will be trying from mesh surfaces next)

image.thumb.png.489b7dd27b65e4a0ddeab48f7d16d3e4.png

Much thanks for any tips, and the file is attached.

Test2.vwx

*EDIT* I figured out that difficulties in exporting multiple site models in one IFC project is due to problems with the 'Site' IFC data tag, which only allows one object as the 'site'.  If you classify your sites with another IFC data-tag, you can export as many as site models within one file as you wish.

image.thumb.png.383065433bc8c052815a07ec72327d2e.png

Alternatively, you can ungroup your site modals and export meshes into an IFC file together, but this is really unnecessary if you relabel the IFC data.

image.thumb.png.453ad3ba22ddb45ecc8f4a4c60b61c4f.png

Edited by Poot
  • Like 4
  • 2 years later...

Hello, is this still working on Vectorworks 2023? I've tried the proposed solution. But when i inspect the IFC-model at Solibri, it doesn't show neither of the Site Models. Both Site Models are working when imported separetly to IFC. The change of the IFC Data of the second Site Model didn't make any difference 😞

Help!

Edit: Or should i change the IFC Data of both Site Models?

Edited by TeeMuki
edit
  • 1 month later...
On 8/16/2023 at 10:58 AM, TeeMuki said:

Hello, is this still working on Vectorworks 2023? I've tried the proposed solution. But when i inspect the IFC-model at Solibri, it doesn't show neither of the Site Models. Both Site Models are working when imported separetly to IFC. The change of the IFC Data of the second Site Model didn't make any difference 😞

Help!

Edit: Or should i change the IFC Data of both Site Models?

I just tried opening an old file from VW2021 with multiple site models, and it is not working anymore using this method, but it could be due to problems converting the older version into VW2024.

There is another topic with IFC export procedures here which might help but so far has not worked with my prexisting file: 

Hopefully we find a solution!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

HI @Poot,

According to Implementers Agreements (which are an addition to the documentation), an IFC file should have only one instance of site.

(Please, see here - https://standards.buildingsmart.org/documents/Implementation/IFC_Implementation_Agreements/CV-2x3-141.html)

When you export an IFC model, there is always site instance exported (it may have no geometry, but it's mandatory for the spatial structure and georeferencing). If you need more "sites" to be exported - they should be marked as IfcBuildingElementProxy (IFC2x3) or IfcGeographicElement (IFC4 and above) and you can use properties or property sets to describe them as sites.

In order to export a site model with a geometry:

- Check the option Export Site Model in Data tab/Export Options;

- Assign a layer with DTM (or other object representing the site geometry) in Layer Mapping to Site (Vectorworks Story Name);

In IFC2x3, IfcSite will contain both data and geometry. In IFC4 - IfcSite will contain the data/properties and the geometry will be in IfcGeographicElement.

HTH and regards.

• Like 1

Hi @Mihail Rizov

Thanks for the quick feedback. I have tried both with IFC2x3 and IFC4 with the same results. At best, I get 1 of the site models showing in the IFC. 

I have tried assigning their design layer (they are all on same design layer) to both Site (which gives 1 area in the IFC) and to a story (no areas show).

Screenshot2023-10-10130825.thumb.png.afc57b03ae50297b70787ca3ba0ee0b2.png

I've attached the file as it stands with IFC2x3 so perhaps I am missing something?

Thanks very much for your help!

Matt

Multiple Site Model to IFC.vwx

Edited by Poot

Hi @Poot

In your file all Site Models are assigned to IfcBuildingElementProxy. You have to select one of them to be your site (speaking for IFC2x3, as per the settings in your file).

Just click on it and remove IFC Data (Data pane/Detach button) - in that way, it will have the default IFC assignment - IfcSite.

(I selected Site Model-Nord 1, for example)

Multiple Site Model to IFC.ifc

• Like 1

Hi @Mihail Rizov

Thanks again for the quick response! That seems to have helped. I still have all but 1 area showing up. Did you have all site models on the same design layer as well, or did you need to put one on a seperate design layer?

The area which has the IfcSiteModel record is not showing, while all others are. 🫠

****edit: I tried changing which area used the IfcSiteModel tag, and it worked as planned. THANK YOU for the help! 😀 not sure why the area below didn't work. ****

image.thumb.png.92225875443819868c1d3bdeb13a9acd.png

Edited by Poot

Hi @Poot,

All of the objects have IfcBuildingElementProxy or IfcGeographicElement assignments. And after removing IFC Data from Site Model-Nord 1, all 8 objects are exported.

(There is no IfcSiteModel  - maybe, you meant IfcSolidModel - this is not an entity, so it will not show up - please, do not use it)

6.png