hyperlinking a section/elevation line!

I am trying to link my sections markers as a form of hyperlink so that when it is a published PDF, one could click on the section marker and be taken to that sheet. I tried using the hyperlink tool but it shows up as a title/link. I want the section cut symbol to be the hyperlink itself. Is there a way to do this??

I have no idea how it will respond in the PDF, but making a symbol into a hyperlink is totally doable.  Just drop in a hyperlink object, then click on the Edit button in the Object Info Palette.  It should launch a dialog box allowing you to change the hyperlink label, function, and appearance.  There is a box on the right of the dialog that will allow you to select a symbol.

image.thumb.png.b052c80970c270f56cafbb9037b72061.png

I have not tested the hyperlink in an exported PDF.

• 1 year later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
1 hour ago, Scott Schwartz, AIA said:

@Matt PanzerHow can I initially create section viewports so they use the smartmarkers with that first cut?

Hi Scott,

When creating any type of sheet layer viewport, you can select a Drawing Label Style in the viewport creation dialog and Section-Elevation Line Styles can be selected in the dialog for vertical section viewports.  Does this answer you question or are you talking about other types of smart marker objects?

@Matt PanzerThanks for the prompt reply. I do select the label style but not sure why they don't get the displayed hyperlink. Are  my markers not a proper smartlink type and how would I tell? I can click "navigate to view' in the OIP  for the marker but it's not link otherwise.

My same markers do work as hyperlinks when I add them from the section-elevation line tool, but that's not creating the section view.

18 minutes ago, Scott Schwartz, AIA said:

@Matt PanzerThanks for the prompt reply. I do select the label style but not sure why they don't get the displayed hyperlink. Are  my markers not a proper smartlink type and how would I tell? I can click "navigate to view' in the OIP  for the marker but it's not link otherwise.

My same markers do work as hyperlinks when I add them from the section-elevation line tool, but that's not creating the section view.

So the same Section-Elevation Line Style acts differently when you use the "Create Section Viewport" command vs placing it with the tool and creating the section viewport from the object?

Yes, the hyperlink red icon only happens when I am placing it from the Notes toolbar. Those duplicates of 6/A2.03  are the different ways. But it does hyperlink when I do detail callout, as you can see. I'm guessing I'm missing some setting but I've gone through all the advanced options and see nothing. I know it's going to be utterly simple, once someone  smarter shows me the error of my ways.

image.thumb.png.a21a66b605c8c2159534fb9a7575f57a.png

34 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

The red chain icon or whatever it is indicates that the marker is NOT linked to a VP. If you link the marker to an existing VP from the OIP or create a new VP from the marker the icon will dissappear to indicate it's now linked.

☝️ What he said. ☝️

🙂 

• Like 1