EXPORT TO IFC MULTIPLE BUILDINGS

Please, find bellow a drawing showing my 3 buildings to illustrate my post. 

1. What I observed 

- It is not possible to have 2 stories at the same level (for instance A0 and B0 on the same level)

- It is really annoying (and I'm trying to stay polite here) to set these stories one bye one when you have 12 buildings, 50 stories, 70 layers. In one window they are listed by name, in another by level; I had to print my layers manager and highlight my stories like in the '80s to see what's happening. After approximately 801'153 clicks I got what I wanted. 

2. My questions 

- How to set properly a file and their stories with multiple buildings in order to export it to IFC ?  

- Is it really mandatory to assign stories in order to export an IFC ? 

IMG_6277.thumb.jpg.6f4ab3f3495bfe664f6b7e3d14cc4520.jpg

• 3 months later...
On 6/22/2021 at 4:01 PM, Stéphane said:

- Is it really mandatory to assign stories in order to export an IFC ? 

looks like ...

Currently I gave up on Story/Level setups and just use old school Layer+Wall Heights.

I can only apply Layers to Stories in IFC export dialog by the few Stories that came

from my file template.

Not sure if you really need to "assign" Stories. At least you have to create some Stories,

to be able to make use of them in IFC Export dialog.

(I think assigning Stories to Layers will just automate the IFC Story assignment)

Multiple Story Systems in VW, - not in a single File as VW has no Spatial Location

system like :

SITE

BUILDING 1, BUILDING 2, ...

LEVEL 0, LEVEL 1, .....

So in general, a separate VW File for each Building,

a Master File to reference everything together.

And maybe that way IFC exports as a whole Project with all buildings.

• 6 months later...

Perhaps the answer is not useful to you anymore @Stéphane but I can share our approach. We named the storeys according to the different buildings. For that we made also different reference heights, each with a preffix corresponding to the different builidings.
In our case, the three buildings are connected, so it is just natural that all buildings "share" the level designation, but I still want to get three different IFCBuilding definition and can't manage to do it in VW. I was told by the German Support from ComputerWorks that it is actually not possible, albeit in the export menu I saw "Building number" and an option that only allowed me to state "1" so I hope it is in the making...

• Like 2
5 hours ago, arquitextonica said:

We named the storeys according to the different buildings.

That may work reasonably - but I would not like to work on a file where

Story levels also need to be duplicated by Buildings ....

No, I think - a single VW File should finally offer support for more than one IFC_Building.

(And separate Story and Story Level systems separated beside each other per Building)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 4/28/2022 at 9:04 PM, zoomer said:

No, I think - a single VW File should finally offer support for more than one IFC_Building.

Completely agree. In fact the thing that "building" naming comes up in the export menu is a nonsense, as it is an Ifc Property and should be suitable for assignment to the different objects in the model.