Workstation configuration

Hi all

I know there are probably already a lot of conversations regarding this but none of them is up-to-date I think.

What would be your perfect Workstation configuration.

I'm looking at:

- AMD Ryzen™ Threadripper™ PRO 3975WX (32 cores version because the 64 cores is more then double the price and I don't need all the cores)

- Nvidia A6000 

Any tips, recommendations??? 

Edited by jdepaepe
  • 4 weeks later...

The threadripper is basically good for heavy duty multi-core capable software (charging a bit here), e.g. rendering software or FEA software that can use multiple cores.

For most CAD purposes it is overkill as most CAD software is still single core and serial (except for rendering and a few other functionality things). It would be better to get e.g. an 8-core processor at high clock speed than a threadripper at a lower clock speed.

I went from an 8-core i7 to a 4-core single threads i5 (for just a year or two at the most when waiting for the upcoming new supposedly super CPU's) and aside from rendering I hardly noticed a differences with CAD software.

So if you don't do a lot of rendering of large models etc. you may want to save quite a bit of money by going with a good 8-core (e.g. Ryzen 7) instead.

The RTX A6000 card is basically a Quadro card and in most cases is only beneficial if there are specific drivers for your CAD program available. There are none for Vectorworks.

Or if you you are using specific software that would benefit from the functionality of the card even if there are no specific graphics drivers, but then you would not need to ask if you have such software. For Vectorworks a good nVidia GeForce RTX card should be sufficient.

Edited by Art V