Two Window PIO Problems

Hello -

VWA10.1.2, Macintosh, OSX10.2.6

This is going to be a bit difficult to describe. When using the Window PIO from the Objects tool pallette, the 2D representation of the window has a couple of problems that I can see.

1. When a window PIO is inserted into a wall, the sills are drawn as filled solids so that you do not see elements that may be placed below the window. This is how it should be. However, the window 'sash' is not filled. For example, if you make a window with a 2" thick sash, the 2D window is 'solid' with the exception of 2" wide zone where the sash is indicated. To see this, draw a wall then insert a window using the tool pallette. Next draw a another element, a

colored rectangle for example, and 'send to back' so that it is under the window (so the window is stacked on top of rectangle). You will see what I'm talking about.

2. When I use the Window tool from the Objects pallette, the interior and exterior sills have the same line weights as the wall. (if "use wall line weight" is selected) It seems to me that sills should not be represented as if they are cut in section. Shouldn't they have the same weight as the selected class, as do the other parts of the window that are not cut in section? Is this a bug?

Is anyone else experiencing this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

d. s h a f f e r

a r c h i t e c t

No you are not the only one experiencing this problem. I'm not sure why it happens, but I'm sure it IS a bug. I posted the problem @ 1 point but got no answer. This is only found in ver10. I'd also like to know why they have the door swing accepting the class attributes. It should have it's own or be controlled by line scales as in the window PIO. You are also right about the sill line weight in that only the jamb should take on the line weight of the wall.

Doug, et.al.

To take care of some of your problem with the widow & door PIOs uncheck the "Use wall line weight" box and fill in the other parameters for relative line weights if you want to. By unchecking the "Use wall line weight" and leaving the other relative line weight parameters alone - most of the window will will appear as class defined line wieghts. I like to set the glass line weight parameter to "1" to get a nice thin glass line.

This is as close as I have been able to come to getting the line weights I would like to see to differentiate window from wall and other items. Sometimes I wish for a pencil again so I can use line weights and tone (e.g. grayscale) to create easier reading drawings.

BTW, I too have complained about what happens at the jambs when a window and door is inserted into a wall. particularly if trims are shown.