Detail Section Viewports issue

I often want to be able to realign a detail section viewport to different section viewport.

If you have a detail section viewport, which was created from the annotation space of a section viewport, it seems the only way to get the  get the detail callout to reference a different section vp is to delete the original section vp from which it was created. You can then create a detail callout instance from the detail section vp in a different section vp.

Is this correct? Or is there a way to align detail callouts to different section vps without deleting the orig section vp?

image.thumb.png.9fa61893039181acd70041de023b5cb9.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

You can copy and paste the Detail Callout and the pasted Detail Callout will not be a "viewport defining" callout.  You can then manually link it back to the Detail Viewport via the Linked Viewport popup in the Object Info palette.  Will that do what you need? 

Not quite Matt. I want to be able to annotate over my 3D model for which I would need a detail callout marker that defines the section detail vp rather than is just linked to it. It also means grid lines and elevation heights show correctly.

If there is another work around pls let me know.

cheers

Currently we have a repeat client and each project is a slight variation of the previous one. So for each project we make a copy of the previous project file and edit it to suit the new one. This means the model is changed somewhat and section markers are moved around a bit. The project file will have a series of construction details which are drawn in the annotation space of detail section viewports. We want to "reuse" these annotations over the "new" model. I was hoping to have to just relocate the marker and tweak the annotations and then the details would largely and quickly be done. Often though, with the new model, the detail we want to draw needs to be referenced from a different section viewport than the one it was created from. Putting a live detail marker instance in the viewport doesn't work as the detail vp will still show the section through where the orig section was taken when the detail vp was created.

My work around atm is to create a new detail vp and copy and past the annotation from the old detail into the new one. When you have 20 sheets of details with 8 or so details on each sheet this can be a laborious process.

I hope I have explained it well?

VW gives you the option of creating section line/ detail section marker instances in any viewport. It would be good if there was the option to control which section viewport was the "referenced" one.

Cheers

OK.  Thanks for the explanation!  Clear as a bell now.  🙂 

Unfortunately, I cannot think of any better way to do this.

However, I did submit an enhancement request and linked it to this thread (VE-102025 - Ability to change the defining viewport of a Detail Viewport.).

• Like 1

Nice! Thx Matt.

Another work around might be to cut the defining section vp, create a new detail callout instance in another section vp, which should then become the new defining section vp, then pasting back in place the cut section vp. Will have to test that out to see if it works.

For this workaround you would need to know which section vp is the defining one for the callout. I don’t know of any way vw tells you which section vp defines which detail section vp (apart from trying to find the matching section cut geometry). So even if the enhancement was just to tell you which section vp a section detail callout comes from would be helpful.

Thx again for looking into this.

cheers 

16 hours ago, Boh said:

Nice! Thx Matt.

Another work around might be to cut the defining section vp, create a new detail callout instance in another section vp, which should then become the new defining section vp, then pasting back in place the cut section vp. Will have to test that out to see if it works.

For this workaround you would need to know which section vp is the defining one for the callout. I don’t know of any way vw tells you which section vp defines which detail section vp (apart from trying to find the matching section cut geometry). So even if the enhancement was just to tell you which section vp a section detail callout comes from would be helpful.

Thx again for looking into this.

cheers 

No problem @Boh!

Ok, so I revised the enhancement request to:

VE-102025: Detail Viewport should show information about what viewport defines it and allow a new defining viewport to be chosen

I'm a little skeptical about this other workaround idea but let me know if you works!  🙂 

• Like 1