Insert 2d/3d symbol from resource manager

Melanie Sparks

Question

I just know I am missing something obvious.... but when I insert an object (such as a car) into my plan from the Landmark Resource Manager....

(Window - Palettes - Resource Manager - Search 'Car' and select any of those in there)

..... when it inserts into my drawing it is always black and white in 2d (when viewed in top/plan).

When I view it in 3d it is in colour - but I want that colour to also appear in plan 2d view.

I can double click and edit the 2d symbol and assign a colour - but I don't want to have to do that.

I do the majority of my Landscape Plans in 2d, and it is a pain to colour these elements (cars, table & chairs, umbrella pergola, etc.) each time I insert them.

What am i missing?

2 answers to this question

@Melanie Sparks that's how those library items are setup, the cars are 2D/3D hybrid objects.  It's one of the core features making Vectorworks great.

If you don't like the 2D behavior, you must edit it accordingly.

From left to right, viewed in 2D Top/Plan view...

the default behavior, a manually colored version, and using a screen shot of the rendered view in the 2D symbol, all of which are 2D/3D symbols.  Files attached.

1265313193_ScreenShot2021-06-16at6_27_58PM.thumb.png.b857fb872bf11d8853b4f93ca927eac7.png

car methods.vwx car methods v2020.vwx

• Like 2

That is working as intended.  If you want to be able to make changes a little easier and don't need the 2D and 3D components (referred to as a "hybrid symbol" and one of the very best things about Vectorworks), you can convert the symbol into a "blue" symbol that will come in as a group rather than a traditional symbol.  In the Resource Manager, right-click the symbol, and select Edit Symbol Options.  This will open up a dialog that lets you set things like wall insertion behavior, automatic class assignment, and what you're looking for is Convert to Group.  In a hybrid symbol, this will drop in only the 2D components when in Top/Plan view, and only the 3D components in any other view.

One advantage to this is that you will be able to set the fill color by just changing the Fill settings in the Attributes pane without having to change the symbol, meaning you can also have several instances with different colors without needing separate symbols.