BEADBOARD / SHIPLAP WALLS

I’ve been trying to get vertical boards - shiplap - or perhaps a wide beadboard - texture on the walls of my 3D model — I’ve built 3/4” x 6” boards - and given them a rd over- placed them 1/8” apart - and still getting some moire effects which are kind of annoying - wonder if there’s any 2D texture to apply to the walls?  Or a better way to build in 3D? 

Attaching an image of what I'd like the walls to look like -- thanks 

Screen Shot 2021-06-15 at 12.15.03 PM.png

10 minutes ago, gvictoria1 said:

and still getting some moire effects which are kind of annoying

I can't see the Render Problems.

So I speculate.

For Moiree you normally have to increase the Antialiasing Quality in Render Style,

which may take more Render Time.

Your Render resolution may be too low. If you Render on SLVPs, as recommended,

maybe have to increase the DPI of the SL- Normally 150-300 DPI, 600 is already

pretty high. Higher values also increase Render Time.

You could also try to keep your View/Camera level.

This way your vertical edges will be always vertical and no Moiree should appear.

Hey Victoria! Can you attach screenshot of what you already modeled? Not sure what moire you're referring to. Perhaps you have overlapping objects. [EDIT - we posted at same time]

I'd probably just do this with an image-based texture, unless there's truly a need to model it. For example this siding:

399071926_ScreenShot2021-06-16at2_10_20PM.thumb.png.0ceecb770c32d71f8104ab0c61e020ec.png

was just made with a little sliver of an image:

303223131_ScreenShot2021-06-16at2_10_59PM.thumb.png.fb749922c4a5c23fccf977aac90c5ba3.png

(In this case I just took it from a location photo, but typically you can find stuff on google, or just make something from scratch in Photoshop)

Similar concept for breadboard & shiplap.

Then for elevations you need to either include textures in the background render OpenGL settings, or you need to add a Surface Hatch to the texture which would show up in Hidden Line.

Let us know how it goes.

Edited by Andy Broomell

To clarify - at this point I'm not rendering- I'm walking through the model - which is when the moire happens - 

also wondering when I'm exporting an elevation - the line weight of the "shiplap" is darker than I'd like it to be - is there a way to adjust the line height of a particular 3D object in a 2D image? 

thanks 

Screen Shot 2021-06-16 at 5.13.47 PM.png

Oh yeah, the OpenGL edges area probably flickering as you navigate. This can happen with fine details like that...

For elevation viewports, make sure the rasterized OpenGL edges are turned off in the background render settings. The remaining Hidden Line lines are controlled by the 3D objects themselves... so select them in the model and see what the line weight is set to.

There are ways to do overrides and whatnot, but that's more advanced.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, gvictoria1 said:

also wondering when I'm exporting an elevation - the line weight of the "shiplap" is darker than I'd like it to be - is there a way to adjust the line height of a particular 3D object in a 2D image? 

If the line weight is specified by class, you can use a Class Override on the SLVP to control the lines, but might simply be the objects are too close together to properly register.

Might be best to use a texture either as I suggested, or as @Andy Broomell suggests and use a Hatch for the elevations. Hatch can be assigned in the Texture definition.