Vectorworks Default Windows font

To change the default font, just choose the font you want from the Text menu with nothing selected.

If you want this all the time, then create a Template file with that font set when you save the template.

If you create a template named Blank.sta and store it in the Libraries:Defaults:Templates folder of either the Application folder or your User Folder it will be use any time you create a new blank document.

6 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

To change the default font, just choose the font you want from the Text menu with nothing selected.

If you want this all the time, then create a Template file with that font set when you save the template.

If you create a template named Blank.sta and store it in the Libraries:Defaults:Templates folder of either the Application folder or your User Folder it will be use any time you create a new blank document.

Isn't that the normal text font ?? I'm talking about the Software font in the menus in the picture i have a few arrows pointing at it! as the default font is not that one.

• 9 months later...
On 3/29/2022 at 9:01 AM, anb said:

Hi FBernardo - did you ever figure this out? I have just changed to windows from Mac and am trying make as much as possible the same!! not key, but it would be nice! 

15 hours ago, mjm said:

@anb

@FBernardo

on the Mac OS v12+, the system font is SF Pro. Might be downloadable somewhere…

It's a very functional face with lots of variants

I have not find a solution, but it probably goes around the windows theme font and so on, I think Vectorworks or any software are "piggy backing" the windows for the font information. I will try and do more research on this.

On 6/15/2021 at 4:44 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Thanks for this. My desire is go a bit deeper. I want to change all tags, callouts, etc... from Arial to my clients desired font. Any way to do this? Currently I'm bringing in the tags and editing the style but this is painful.

On 4/7/2022 at 12:28 PM, Pat Stanford said:

If you really want to change everything, then Font Mapping might be the best way to go.

Or try the script in the thread below. I have not tested it in VW2022 and it is a decade old, but it reads like it should still work.

I just looked at another thread and the script did run in VW2021.

This is great if I want to change things after the fact. I want to have all annotations use the clients specific font and not arial to be included in the template. Is there a wya to do that.

I don't understand the question Robert. 

If I set the default font and then draw a Callout it uses that font.

If I create a Text Style that uses a font and tell a Callout to use that style the font is included.

The script I posted should let you change the line that says Font:='Arial' to whatever the name of the font you want to use. So that should change everything to your desired font.

The default font should be saved as part of your template.

What am I not understanding?

6 minutes ago, Pat Stanford said:

If I create a Text Style that uses a font and tell a Callout to use that style the font is included.

The script I posted should let you change the line that says Font:='Arial' to whatever the name of the font you want to use. So that should change everything to your desired font.

Clearly I'm the one that doesn't understand. My apologies.

On 4/8/2022 at 3:06 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Clearly I'm the one that doesn't understand. My apologies. I've tried your script and it works great.

My challenge is that I've run the script, changed the fonts (yeah!) and saved the file. I have run into a couple of issues. First: Using the data tag tool with a tag from the same group but of a different configuration it changes all existing tags back to Arial. Second: Once I placed all needed tags, saved the file, created the template and created a new file using the template the tags still use Arial. I want to change the font at the base level so with each new drawing users don't have to run the script. Is this even possible?

Thanks again for all your help.

The Font is included as part of the Data Tag Style. So when the data tag objects get reset, it probably returns to the original font.

This is also why new data tags are defaulting to Arial.

I have not figured out a way to script editing the Data Tag Styles yet, so hopefully you don't have to many of them to edit manually.

Also note, that you will need to pull all the data tag styles you want into the template and use them from there. The ones in the Default Contact in the application folder will likely revert to Arial even time VW is reinstalled (and maybe updated).

Pat,

Thanks for the response. I appreciate the input. I'm not excited about inserting every data tag style and detail call-out and section call-out and edit them so the template has the clients Font.

Do you suppose that somewhere in the library if we replaced Arial with their Font the program would just substitute or would it break it?

Fonts are pretty much an OS thing. I don't know if you could delete Arial from their computer and rename their font to Arial.  Arial is so commonly used that this would likely cause all sorts of other problems so I don't recommend even testing it.

You could duplicate the Default Content file that contains the Tags into their Workgroup or User folders and edit the tags in there. If a file with the exact same name exists in the User or Workgroup and Applications folder, the once "closest" to the user takes priority and you will not see default content from the other folders. This would get you by until they upgrade to VW2023 and then you probably will have to do it all again. But this is probably the best option for now.

And put a wish into the Wish List Forum for the ability to define a "default" font or text style to be used by plugins.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

@Pat Stanford 

Finally Vectorworks decided to show me the font i was talking about in the beginning of the post. 

If you compare both fonts you'll see the differences, and it's not due to having a project open or not i simply restarted VW to make sure the default font would show up.

Vectorworks Original Font (default windows 10)

1022798438_Menufontsoriginal.png.af86d7849fc59d23b35e1a321eb4a4d7.png

Vectorworks Font ("bugged" Same Windows 10) Today happened like 30mins after i started working)

1305249702_Menufonts.png.be3b7b69464f4b4708778dcdc5abd250.png