Lighting Symbols - point of rotation wrong

Hi

just noticed that some 3d moving light symbols have an incorrect rotation point when they tilt.

of course you'd never tilt the units to 180degrees in the software however physically most moving lights can't tilt 180degrees. despite this these units are shown to have their nose tucked in under their base and in reality this should clash..?

some example images attached, namely Mac Encore Performance, Mac Encore Wash, SolaFrame 3000, Mac Viper Performance, Mac Viper Wash DX.

thanks

james

tilt 180 3d symbols.jpg

While you are technically correct in that tilting the head a full 180 degrees would result in a spatial conflict, this is not a bug with Vectorworks or their head rotation point.  Instead, this is a result of the actual lights being physically unable to do a full 180 degree tilt.  All of the Martin fixtures you have cited above have a maximum tilt angle of 134 degrees, and the High End fixture has a maximum tilt of 132.5 degrees.  This prevents the spacial conflict you are showing.  While I don't have any of these fixtures directly in front of me, I have used all of them in at least one show and the modeling in Vectorworks has been consistent (within reason) with reality.

image.thumb.png.4bdbc3d2b35a9384cb6f7ddedef8312a.png

The only fixture that I can recall using that could do a full 180 degree tilt is the Robe Spikie, and the modeling shows no conflict.

image.thumb.png.b93241d75d7ad3dfb419822b8a8a127d.png

@jameslye, if I understand your concern, it's that the models should show that the lens intersects with the geometry of the light if put at 180 tilt.

The examples you have show the fixtures from the side. Take a look at the front view. I suspect you'll find that the lens intersects with the top part of the YOKE and not the base, so while you can't see the error from the side, you can see the implications of the tilt limit in other views.

• Like 1