Importing survey 2D & 3D data from separate files

Annabel Bridge

Question

Hi!  I am adept at importing the dwg file from my land surveyor and do this all the time.. I can then import the xyz text file and make a model (not brilliantly admittedly) but I cannot get the two to work together.  What am I missing?

You can see from the screenshot it looks like i have two files which aren't interacting with each other.  And the house doesn't seem to have walls just rooves!!

I'm using vwks 2020 and any help or videos to watch gratefully appreciated 🙂

2021-06-15.png

5 answers to this question

Hi @jeff prince that's helpful.  I just added all the stakes that the surveyor had given me.

This might sound an odd question but do i basically create the site model then 'read' the detail of what's where from underneath in the 2D view and put in beds, trees, paths etc?  Will they automatically be added at the right level or do I have to do something else?

Thanks!

@NLGD the points in the survey file will normally be on different layers so you need to isolate the points that relate to the ground levels when you create the site model i.e. deselect points relating the buildings, trees, etc.

If the data has been supplied as xyz coordinates in a text file then you need to ask the surveyor to include just the terrain coordinates in the text file i.e. separate the data for you.

Yes the 2D drawing gives you something to trace over when it comes to placing objects on the site model. Plant objects will automatically be sent to the surface of the site model. Use the info in the survey drawing to determine the height + spread to make the trees.

Other object you need to use the Send to Surface command to place on the surface of the site model or you can manually enter the Z height in the OIP.

In short VW will model the terrain only, everything else you need to add/model yourself using the survey drawing/data as a guide.

Although having said that I believe you can import tree surveys in .txt format + have VW convert the data directly into Existing Tree objects.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, NLGD said:

Hi @jeff prince that's helpful.  I just added all the stakes that the surveyor had given me.

This might sound an odd question but do i basically create the site model then 'read' the detail of what's where from underneath in the 2D view and put in beds, trees, paths etc?  Will they automatically be added at the right level or do I have to do something else?

Thanks!

Yes, you have to filter the points a bit, they oftentimes include building eves, tops of wall, tops of paving, etc that we usually want to model with the appropriate tools.

Probably a good time to take the Vectorworks University class on site design.

Plant objects will "send to surface" and have a 3D representation, so that part is easy, just use plant objects

Plant Areas and Hardscapes in the Texture Bed configuration are easy too, as they will conform to your site model surface.

More advanced work is using 3d slabs, walls, and hardscapes to depict those features as they are actually constructed.

Take that class and a lot of the "how" is covered.

• Like 2