Exporting DWG

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The data structure of VW and ACAD is somewhat different, so ther are some "square peg-round hole" aspects of this. However, here are some general comments that may help:

1. All visible layers are exported. (You may have only one active layer at a time.)

2. If you are in a 2D (Plan) view, you will export 2D data. If you are in a 3D view, you will export 3D data.

3. While layers can each have their own display scale in VW, in ACAD there is only one layer scale. (This may explain why your drawing appears cluttered). You will get best results if you arrange your data to be all on layers of the same display scale setting.

You don't say what version of VW you are using. The ACAD import/export is one feature area that is constantly being improved with each release.

Also, if you're just trying to send graphics (in other words, if your recipient isn't going to edit the data), you might consider using PDF export (either available through the system on Mac OS X or using a third party utility on older versions of Mac OS or Windows). This has advantages over DWG/DXF.

Thank you Robert.

I am using 10.1.2 on this end but I don't know what version of Autocad the recipient has. Also I am ignorant of the various DWG options available in the export window, so I am using the 2000 series.

From what i gathered from your response is that I must send each layer individually. This is not a problem for me, but my boss thought it would be easier at the other end if they received it as a single file.

Thanks again

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

B.Howell, when I said that "You may have only one active layer at a time", I was speaking in VectorWorks terms. It's just the way VW works. However, "visible" and "active" are not the same thing. Heres' the short version:

1. Make sure all your layers are Plan view and the same scale setting.

2. Make visible the layers you want to export.

3. In the DWG export dialog, make sure the "Layers" and not "Classes" button is enabled under the "Export as DXF Layers" option.

This will allow you to export multiple layers. Give it a try.

I am trying to export a complete file in DWG. The file is then e-mailed to an outside source. The problem is that the layer I am on is the only layer exported. If I make all layers active before I export it, then it is not at all legible. If I then re-import that file I cannot separate the layers.

I am following all the reccomendations in the export section. The recipient has Autocad and can't (or won't) read VW drawings or I would simply send the VW file through the e-mail.

Is there an easy way to send the whole file at once rather than as each layer at a time.

I haven't seen any postings lately that address this. I would assume that this is a normal procedure and that I am doing something wrong.

Any help would be appreciated.

Burt

I work in an office where half the staff works on DWG file.

The easiest way to transfer files is to export each sheet by it's self. If the sheets has layers with different scale make a note to scale the drawing.

When you export all layers the "invisible layer" tab should be selected to export as dxf inv.. Layers. How ever you and the person you are sending to will have to re-do your sheets / view ports.

Which I find takes longer than just copying the layers from file sheets.