Beam multiplier and canela settings saved with v3s file

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'd have to test, but I think this may be a regression if it is reproducible. I swore all of that information worked in the past. I didn't think we'd changed much in that area so I didn't expect anything to break. I'll try to take a look and see what is going on.

What fixture(s) are you testing? Might be best for me to try the same ones JIC. I assume you are using litfiles and not GDTF?

Hey Bbudzon

I'm so sorry, my mistake, it does save with the file. I must have got confused when I reimported the MVR file from Vectorworks.

In terms of the colour temperature settings, the Thomas 4-light molefay fixture outputs stark white light but the colour temperature setting is on 3000 and changing the setting doesn't change the temperature. Does this setting only work on certain fixtures?

If the UI is allowing you to change the UI, then it should take effect. There may be a bug in either detecting whether or not the color temp field should be "editable". There may be a bug in the handling of color temperature.

My suggestion would be to play around with a fixture whose color temperature is clearly working; such as a S4 19deg. I posted somewhere in these forums recently about color temperatures. Some users seem to think there isn't enough difference between, say, 3200K and 6000K; other users think the difference is too much.

If you can find some time to play around with a known working fixture (in regards to color temp) you should see that 6000K is fairly "white" and 3200K is more "amber". Vision does not yet have a white balance setting. If the S4 19deg is working as you expect, I'd go back and test the molefay one more time. If you still believe there is a bug or issue with the content, report back and kick off tickets to the appropriate parties.

• 4 weeks later...

If you have access to JIRA, you should file it there. The advantage of having this access (which is restricted to BETA users I believe) is you kind of get updates on the report and will see when it has been resolved and at what build number.

Otherwise, I'll make a note to open a report in JIRA myself; one that references this forum post.

It's not clear to me yet whether or not this is an issue in code or in content. Content issues can be fixed "mid-release". Code issues require a Service Pack.

We'll try to take a look sooner than later!

• 4 weeks later...

So, just an update on this:

Just a few lighting devices in Vision leverage a concept called a Lightmap. This is something entirely in the backend and something that is not seen or editable by the end user. Anytime that a Lightmap is present, Vision ignores the Color Temperature field and uses the Lightmap image instead.

Part of the issue being reported is that Vision was not making it clear to the end user that this was the case. The Color Temperature was filled out with a value that didn't really make sense and it was editable when it should not have been.

The solution is in Vision's code base we need to handle populating the Color Temperature field as read-only when a Lightmap is present. This way, it is clear the field cannot be modified as it will have no effect.

So, @DBLD, the solution to your problem is to use a different fixture / fixture mode. If one does not exist that does the Color Temperature stuff you need, you can request it through the Fixture Request form for Vision. I'd have to check with our content team, but in theory, we could provide a molefay that does not use a lightmap and therefore would have an editable Color Temperature field that would allow you to set it to whatever you want.

• Like 1

I had a chat with content and realized why things are being done the way they are.

The "quickfix", as I stated previously, was to simply disable the Color Temperature field. This was intended to hold us over and allow for a more intuitive UI until we could investigate a real fix.

What I'm investigating now is how we can handle both a Lightmap AND a Color Temperature in Vision source code / rendering engine. The Lightmap provides certain effects that content cannot remove without breaking the fixture. So, this must be handled in code. Luckily, the ground work is going pretty well.

Whenever there is any update on this, I will do my best to post them here!

@DBLD, if you need a "fix" sooner than this, you can kind of hack things up in 2021 to work. I was hoping to avoid posting this, but I hate to leave you hanging. There is a par.png file included with Vision installations. I would back this up before you do anything. But, if you open the par.png in paint / photoshop / gimp and paint the white sections an amber-ish color, you'll get closer to the look you are going for. Please note; this may break other things and may need to be manual "undone" by hand when some of my fixes ship. Perform this "hack" at your own discretion.

Hey Bbudzon

Thanks for the update. It is mainly just that fixture that is the issue for me. I don't specifically use the Thomas 4-light molefay but I have found its a good fixture to put in and use in my plots and visualisations. If there was a generic one I would certainly use it.

I probably won't do your hack, I don't want to break anything else because when its working its good and time is sometimes of an essence so I don't want to be messing around with something that could get me unstuck later. Most of the time when I am programming a show it isn't a worry, its just when I am producing renders or videos to show to clients that I want it to look realistic.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

@DBLD,

In Vision 2021, there was an issue where a fixture using a "lightmap" in the backend would ignore the Color Temperature field even though it was editable. After further investigation, there were also some fixtures that didn't use a "lightmap" but would still ignore the Color Temperature field even though it was editable.

In Vision 2022 SP0, I wrote a "quick fix" that disabled the Color Temperature field in some cases so it could not be edited. This made the UI a little more intuitive while I tried to work on a more proper fix for Vision 2022 SP2 as the changes were larger and riskier than I initially expected.

With Vision 2022 SP2 now tested internally and released to the public, I wanted to share some updates.

Vision 2022 SP2 reverts the "quick fix" that was shipped with Vision 2022 SP0; meaning the Color Temperature fields that were editable in Vision 2021 are now editable again in Vision 2022 SP2.

I've updated the rendering code to account for the Color Temperature field being edited in all of the cases I could find or account for. So, editing this field should now work regardless of whether or not a "lightmap" is being used in the backend, whether or not "Force Emissive" is checked, and whether or not the fixture is an "emissive" fixture by default. In short, if the Color Temperature field is editable it should now always have an effect on the rendering when it is changed; including undo/redo/cut/copy/paste/drag'n'drop.

If there are any cases where a device seems to completely ignore edits to the Color Temperature field, please post them here so we can work to resolve them. Note that if a device changes color when the Color Temperature field is edited, but the result is not what you expect, then this may be a different and independent issue from the one being discussed here.

While this was a pretty concentrated fix regarding the Color Temperature field being completely ignored, I hope this still improves the experience and workflow in our product. Other issues related to "Color Temperature" but unrelated to "ignoring Color Temperature field edits" are still being investigated and we are working on definitive steps to reproduce as this is the first objective when debugging and sharing issues.