layer link question

Are you saving different sheets for each drawing or are you putting all of a drawing on a different layer? You should be able to do what you want to do by altering the class and layer visability of each sheet when you set your sheet, or, you can edit your sheet as you go.

My question is: I have always created building that are no larger than one floor and thus when I made elevations(front, rear, etc) for planning review- it was fairly easy. Now I am working with something that is three stories. I have decided to create each floor plan in a different layer but when I go to show elevations there is that line that separates each floor and thus I don't get a clean flat front elevation. Should I do another layer that is just the shell of the house? in order to get my elevations for planning review? What is the proper way to connect all the floors in order to achieve elevation that can go into city planning?

Lastly, my building is 30 feet high, 3 floors, and there is a bump out(bay windows on the 2nd and 3rd floor- so there is an over-hang from the first to second floor and it is extremely hard to do. Maybe you can help

Amacbabe,

After re-reading your original post, I realized you probably already knew about layer linking, but were having some trouble getting the graphic results you desired.

For working drawing elevations, here's what I do: from a properly built model (layer link) in an elevation view (ie "FRONT" or "LEFT", etc) I do a "CONVERT TO COPY LINES, which will give you a group containing all the outlines of your building. I then use this to trace off of and add any fills, shading, hatching, etc . that I need to.

This is the only way I've found to get the graphic results I want with complete control. Unfortunately, when if you make a change to the building you will have go and change all the elevations. Maybe someday we will have software that does this automatically, but not today!

Good Luck.

Peter

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I have a few comments to add:

1. If you're using VW Architect, the Model View Tool will make elevation and isometric views easy. Easier than using layer links.

2. You can leave your model views "live" and let them serve as the basis for live-linked elevations. First, create your model views in a layer and use the model view tool to set the views. (The layer will remain in Top/Plan view). You can do a quick HL render to see where the "offending" lines will be, but when you're done, set the layer back to Top/Plan view. Now, create another layer for "marking up" your elevations (i.e. touching up and annotating). Set it to Top/Plan view also. Draw "whiteout" lines (lines in a white pen) over your offending lines. Draw heavier lines for emphasis (outline profiles, etc.) in this layer, also. Now go back to the layer that your model views are on and set it to Hidden Line rendering. Voila, hot elevations.

3. I'm not sure why you say your bump-out is difficult to do. Maybe a little more information?

hey just to note:

(and purely the opinion of a single user)

robert the method you discribed is extermly flawed.

for one very simple reason.

it's ok while ever you always print in VW to a printer.

but a drawing done this way can't not be exported to dwg/dxf formats.

indeed would be no better than using the old fashion drawing board.

the convert copy to lines although not producing live elevations produces practical results.

regards matt

sydney australia

Yes. And additionally, for modeling and presentation purposes a model is fine (in fact great, if you put the time into developing it the way you want).

But for working drawings I need things graphically that are just not there in a model: like a heavy line around the building, hatches (not textures) for siding & roofing (because hatches print predictably in black & white/ gray scale, and keep file sizes smaller), etc.

Peter

The Model Tool does essentially what a layer link does, iwth a few extra bonus points.

Layer link - you select the layers you want to link to view in a single layer. Technically you can get more than one layer link in a layer, but you always have to view it in the same view.

Model View Tool -

Select the layers you want to "link" and set the view you want those layers to be placed as - front, side, top, iso, etc.

That will place a copy of those layers as a group, set to that view.

You can then go to the model view tool again and select the same (or different layers) and set them as a different view.

Essentially instead of a layer link, you are creating a grouped view of copied layers in multiple views = on a SINGLE layer.

You no long have to make multiple layers, multiple layer links, yadda yadda yadda.

Ironically enough, I wrote a tech tip about the model View tool for the May eDispatch a few weeks ago.

It includes a step by step on how to use it.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

A few responses to various comments:

Cipesdesign, I agree with your comments. Espedially for elevations, graphic enhancement or "markup" is a necessity for things like boundary enhancement and hatching, etc. that is why I suggested the additional 2D-only layer.

P Retondo, you can do (almost) everything manually that you use the Model View tool for. The MVT creates a group of LLs and then rotates them to the desired view. It also detects when it has clicked on an existing group of LLs and determines the preexisting view (i.e. rotation) of that group. So it's easy to click on a view-group, then change its orientation. Or to add or delete a layer from that view-group. Quite handy, actually. You could of keep track of all this manually, but it's a lot of work, and mental effort that takes away from your design time.

ErichR, the Model View Tool is a tool in VW Architect and VW Landmark only, and it is documented in those products.

iboymatt, you are correct that layerlinks (even if rendered in HL mode) do not get exported as lines. Also, AutoCAD does not yet support the "opaquing" characteristic of our raster imaging system. While I recognize that ACAD compatibility is an unavoidable part of many users' workflow, the pre-export method to deal with this issue (i.e. convert the LL to lines and delete the "offending" lines) is acceptable, just not 100% transparent. With all respect, I don't think that this limitation renders the techique invalid.