It would be helpful to be able uniquely name geometry.

Question

Out of habit (I moved to VW from Autodesk Maya) I just went to name a number of planters in a planset "Planter (A), Planter (B), etc.

But I discovered that as they are geometry (shell objects, generic solids, and extrudes) - I couldn't.

I know I could turn them into symbols and then name them, but I'm still moving masses around and want to be able to easily and directly manipulate them.

It would be nice to be able to uniquely name everything (walls, solids, polylines, groups, etc.) if desired.

This would help keep everything nice and organized.

2 answers to this question

There is a Name field at the bottom of the OIP that you should be able to use.

There are some items (entertainment lighting mostly) that used to use that field for specific purposes, but in general every object in VW can be named.

The trick is that the names MUST be unique.  You can't name three items Plant-A to make them a "group".

You also can't use names that are the same as object types in VW. IE you can't name an object DOOR if there are already Door objects in the drawing. Conversely, if you have already named an object DOOR, you will not be able to place any Door objects in the drawing.

• Like 4