ConnectCad over floorplan.

I'm interested in using connectCAD to do some IT layouts with Vectorworks (spotlight).

Is there a way to use connectCAD to place symbols on the DWG floorplan of the building, specify rack locations, equipment in racks, and then make the connections between the devices (access points, cameras etc connected to switches). 

I see that it works well for doing schematics where scale isn't really and issue, but I can't seem to find a good way to utilize it with a proper floorplan.

My end goal is to be able to layout the devices on the floorplan, and run cables from specific ports on switches in racks and have the cable run, rack, switch, switch port and device all be associated and be able to use that information in reports.

Thanks,

Nick

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Nick

You can draw your schematics on the floor plan. Event planners like to do this because they can read the cable lengths directly from the perimeters of the circuits. It's quick and dirty.

What you need to do is set the snap grid to a suitable value. The snap grid controls the size of all schematic objects. If your floor plan is at 1:50 grid sizes of 125mm or 6in will look nice. But you'll have to see what works for you. Set up the grid, import your DWG, then start using ConnectCAD. Symbols are automatically imported from default content as required and scaled to your grid. So don't go changing the grid halfway through!

Hope that helps and I'd really be interested to see how this looks.

Conrad

Hi Conrad!

I tried adjusting the snap grid before placing a device but that doesn't seem to affect the size of connectCAD devices placed on the floorplan.  6" spacing vs 600' spacing makes no difference in the size.  

Should I be placing the devices on a layer with the same scale as the floorplan (ie. 1:50).  The only other option that I see is to turn off Unified view and place the device on the schematics layer at 1:1... but then things like estimated cable lengths are not correct.

I'm newish to VW so sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks!

Nick

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Nick,

Just to be clear. You need to start from a blank document (not the template). Import your .dwg. Set up the snap grid. Leave Unified View on. If you want your schematic on a separate layer from your floorplan create that layer at the same scale (1:50 right?).

Now start using ConnectCAD tools.

As you add devices / sockets etc. everything you need gets imported and scaled to match your snap grid setting.

Note: changing the snap grid will not affect objects already on the drawing or anything containing symbols already imported and scaled. You need to set the snap grid at the beginning and leave it there.

Any questions just let me know.

Conrad

• Like 1