help needed with site model

@bob cleaver I would recommend you contact whomever provided that file and ask for:

the survey points in CSV or some other delimited text/spreadsheet format.

OR

to export the file again.

It looks like they are using AutoDesk Civil 3D and either did not export the points correctly or they passed through a second set of hands that did not have the Civil 3D object enabler installed, thereby exporting dumb lines instead of points/locus or blocks/symbols.

If that is not an option, the points could be recreated manually or programmatically by placing a locus in the center of the boxes found in your file.

Hope it helps 🙂

• Like 3

@jeff prince has the best idea. As usual! They need to provide better/usable data. but . . .

On 6/1/2021 at 12:46 PM, bob cleaver said:

thank you, I had a feeling it was something like that - 

I had that feeling, too, but just could not stand it.

Sooooooo, here is something crazy, probably useless, but fostered my illness to not let vwx fail:

The file is full of 2' cubes (actually they are 2d lines and squares on 3d planes), each with a text box. I think the ctr points of the cubes are relevant data points related to their classes (topo, roads, building tops, etc).  There are other non terrain data objects which need to be hidden for terrain production. But a terrain can be made.  Here is the gist of it:

1. Duplicate file, plan view all objects. Delete the North Arrow, the VP boundaries, any stuff far from the cubes, etc, etc.

2. Custom Select>text. Delete it all.

3. Front view - Delete/hide stuff at z=0. (the relevant geometry is above z=450')

4. Select all the cubes.  Modify>Convert to 3d Polys.

5.  Make another pass for class hiding, eg the buildings, trees, other stuff that's off the imagined surface, stuff that isn't cubes, etc.

6.  Note: I deleted lots of big 3d polys and some other things which instead probably could have been hidden via class vis. sorry.

7.  Save View to preserve this class list. And another view with ALL the classes visible.

8.  Select what's left, Duplicate in Place. Put it in a new layer : Terrain

9. In the new layer make the Terrain. Select all, AEC or LandMark>Terrain>from Source Data. Set min/max 450' to 550'

10. Terrain is created mainly from the top surfaces of the cubes.  It has some blank facets, but not bad.

11.  If desired, Drape Surface.  Or, make another pass with class vis. Or mess with Mesh Smoothing.

12. Since terrain uses tops of the 2' cubes, the whole thing is (probably?) 1' above proper grades. Maybe. Depends on what those cubes mean.  Edit the source data and move all down 12"? Move the terrain down?  Or ignore it (what I did).

Terrain plus another layer with all classes visible showing cubes for the fences , buildings, trees, etc.

50x50 drape surface of the terrain.

OK. crazy, useless, but a fun and interesting terrain never the less.

-B

image.thumb.png.76a4e712614b0e075da7f648576eea24.png

image.thumb.png.576a49ae96587628969bf1d8c482ff3a.png

sam test 2021-06-01 copy.vwx sam test 2020-06-01 copy.vwx

• Like 3

Thank you all for the great feedback:

A quick update - I received a CSV file and was able to separate various elements (like road, deck, building) so making a simple file of just topo was easy -

The CSV info imported easily and created a site model - now adding additional info such as roads, buildings etc is next -  

• Like 2