The VGM Universe...Still impressed

So I had to do some explaining of a subject matter and most people do this Power Point thing...

But I set up the models below and then place the images as shown...

Then I just did a walk thru talking and pointing to things as I went...

I just cannot get over how well this VGM universe works.

(3d Connexion Space Nav is a must)

All my meeting presentations are done this way...others talk about what is going on (talking heads) and some show sheets (pdf) but when its my turn I take everyone into the magical world of 3d.  Well done VW

(I could use a better background. Any High Res available?)

209784163_ScreenShot2021-06-01at1_36_11PM.thumb.png.03900b6995049a957a8125bacb190674.png

• Like 4

plus I can make any object with any level of detail and it works.

you can actually snap to that rod.

and have a 2d line (sight line) in the 3d universe that I can snap to also.

and have a 2d rectangle (purple plane for measuring using OIP) in the 3d universe.

(sight line is at 1408mm)

I get absolutely blown away every time by the VGM. I never want to leave it...But its a universe that only I can access.

156242997_ScreenShot2021-06-01at1_52_38PM.thumb.png.e51ae79b02715d6928b1f3187d4b81a2.png

• Like 1

a bit of clarification...the ability of VW to have a 2d line & 2d poly in 3d space is not to be underestimated in value.

programs that are all 3d (Onshape) are only 3d with no ability to have 2d lines & polys and there is a reason for that

But that is why VW is such a good tool for presentations because it allows for all of the above...

So this means you can have a CL (center line) floating in space that you can snap to.

and you can have a 2d poly floating in space that you can snap to...

These abilities are very important.

Edited by digitalcarbon

all 2d objects in Onshape (& solid works) "live" in what is called a "sketch plane"  so to make the plumb bob line I would need to make a sketch plane then draw on that to make a vertical line. so any of the guide lines you see above need to live in a sketch plane.  so you cannot really have 2d lines floating around in the actual 3d model..

the reason for this is Mechanical cad can go from actual model to fabrication (think cad/cam) so they do not want to have all this debris floating around in the 3d universe..

• Like 1