tilted walls?

As far as I am aware, you need to create an extruded solid to do this. Obviously this is not a parametric object. But you can create a wall of zero height to go along with this, so that in plan view you have a parametric object.

If you have windows and openings, I'm afraid you will have to construct everything in 3D. It might be possible to construct a custom window symbol that has a tilted 3D frame and other tilted parts.

[ 04-06-2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The "standard" characteristics of a wall that make it a wall (regarding how it deals with wall-inserted objects) tend to go away when the wall is sloped. By this I mean that the issue rapidly becomes one of detailing, and the universe of detailing is so broad that a feature like "sloped walls" has the dangerous propensity to become either a Godzilla of a feature that consumes development resources far in excess of its value to users, or a feature that (in order to be developable) is so limited that it doesn't really solve the problem for a majority of users.

Better maybe to use the array of 3D tools that VectorWorks has already?

• 1 year later...

I was struggling same problem:

I solved it by creating a roof face to represent my wall and inserting a skylight. It's a little confusing to do it that way, but it worked. The only problem is, the top of the wall is mitered and I couldn't figure out how to make it square on the top.

I for one think creating a sloped or battered wall would be a very useful feature to add to VW.

I know of other 3D modeling programs that have solutions for creating battered or sloped walls the capablility of inserting parametric objects. So if they did it, it is possible.

In modern architecture, sloped walls with windows are becomeing used more often. I see them frequently and battered walls are even more frequently used. If it's being built, than architects are going to be modeling it. If it's being modeled than VectorWorks should address the issue.

The thing is, as an architect I tend to invest my client's resources in 3D computer models most often when the design of the structure is complex. 3D computer programs must be able to handle modeling complex architectural objects in a way that is condusive with the logic of how buildings are constructed in real life.

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by reem:

I solved it by creating a roof face to represent my wall and inserting a skylight. It's a little confusing to do it that way, but it worked. The only problem is, the top of the wall is mitered and I couldn't figure out how to make it square on the top.

Well, I protest. I happen to think this method, although very clever, is totaly unacceptable if the computer is supposed to do the dirty work. I want to spend my time designing and developing a model of such design, which is why I bought VW. Instead, I find myself battling with the program. Slanted walls are an everyday occurrence, especially in interior design where you can create all sorts of wacky shapes in gypsum board and other materials.

I mean, VW has so many specialized and complex features I've seen that I will probably never use. I bought the program several weeks ago and have made great progress with it (in spite of the VW Architect manual) but now I am stuck and very dissapointed with this lacking feature.

There should be a better, much better way.

RPG

You can also use Multiple Extrudes to form sloped and battered walls. Just offset the two 2D shapes by the required amount. Openings can be formed using Solid Subtractions - and doors and windows located manually.

You can get the correct 2D / 3D appearance by either using classes or turning the 'walls' into hybrid symbols with separate 2D and 3D views.

Mike and Island,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give them a try.

But, let's keep the pressure up on VW programmers !!! VW is a superb product. I'm sure they recognize this featute would put VW in very positive light versus the competition. (Like ArchiCAD, for example...)

BTW, where can I get or buy decent symbol and/or object libs like trees, cars, furniture.

RPG