Jump to content
  • 1
Asemblance

Wishlist - Viewport visiblity for sheet viewports of reference viewports

Question

Hi All,

 

It is a constant frustration that when using viewports on sheets, which in turn show content from reference viewports in the modelspace/design layer, you cannot override the visiblity of the reference viewport.

 

i.e. I have a section referenced in from another file. The reference viewport displays some information which is useful for my working process (room data tags or levels, say), but I want these turned off on the sheet output. Unless I have missed something, there is no way to override the visibility of classes in the sheet viewport; instead you have to turn off information in the design layer (reference) viewport.

 

P.S. If there is already a way to do this, please someone let me know!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

9 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
1 hour ago, Asemblance said:

P.S. If there is already a way to do this, please someone let me know!

 

I do this quite a bit using the "Layer" referencing method.  I have found that geometry visibility within Sheet Layer ViewPorts that contain Design Layer ViewPorts hinges on Class visibility when the Sheet Layer is active.  For example, "Class A" has to be visible in the SLVP AND when the Sheet Layer is active.

 

Make sense??

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Asemblance If you click on “classes” in the oip when a sheet layer vp is selected you’ll see near the bottom of the dialogue are a couple of checkboxes. They are options to use the class overrides and/or visibilities of nested design layer viewports. Does this not do what you want?

@C. Andrew Dunning I think when you click on edit for a sheet layer vp there is an option to use seperate class visibilties for the vp or just use the current file class visibility settings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
20 hours ago, C. Andrew Dunning said:

 

I do this quite a bit using the "Layer" referencing method.  I have found that geometry visibility within Sheet Layer ViewPorts that contain Design Layer ViewPorts hinges on Class visibility when the Sheet Layer is active.  For example, "Class A" has to be visible in the SLVP AND when the Sheet Layer is active.

 

Make sense??

I also sometimes use the layer referencing method for this exact reason - but generally the viewport referencing method is better. So would like to have this same flexibility..

 

1 hour ago, Boh said:

@Asemblance If you click on “classes” in the oip when a sheet layer vp is selected you’ll see near the bottom of the dialogue are a couple of checkboxes. They are options to use the class overrides and/or visibilities of nested design layer viewports. Does this not do what you want?

@C. Andrew Dunning I think when you click on edit for a sheet layer vp there is an option to use seperate class visibilties for the vp or just use the current file class visibility settings.

I've tried with the checkboxes both ticked and unticked, doesn't seem to make a difference to the visibility of classes in referenced viewports; either I'm missing something obvious, or the overrides don't work for this particular scenario!

 

Its quite easy to replicate, simply make a file with a few lines on different classes, then reference into a new file. Create a design layer reference viewport, then create a sheet layer with a viewport containing the referenced viewport. The visibilities of the sheet viewport won't affect the objects in the reference viewport. See screenshots from test file below.

1630681789_Designlayerviewporttest(1).thumb.jpg.f452ec58967e1e767698180ed339817f.jpg

1852306629_Designlayerviewporttest(2).thumb.jpg.bc4860d0d42811d00d7dc867d0d21e59.jpg

 

I am aiming for the pink line to have disapeared in both boxes, but as you can see it is still present on the right hand box. In order to get it not to display, it has to be turned off in the reference viewport on the design layer. But of course if I am referencing this information in more than one sheet, I may want it turned on in some cases but not others.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Boh said:

I think when you click on edit for a sheet layer vp there is an option to use seperate class visibilties for the vp or just use the current file class visibility settings.

 

I've not found this to work consistently.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@Asemblance Ah yes those check boxes don’t work on referenced dlvps. I guess this is because a ref dlvp could have an entirely different class structure.

 

To use ref dlvps with different visibilities you need to create a duplicate dlvp for each scenario.

 

To keep my files clean and manageable I put teach dlvp on its own dedicated design layer.

 

If there are going to be more than 2 or 3 duplicates I would consider changing to layer referencing or even just importing the geometry into the file.

 

@C. Andrew Dunning I haven’t seen this before. Can you post a file?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 minutes ago, Boh said:

@Asemblance Ah yes those check boxes don’t work on referenced dlvps. I guess this is because a ref dlvp could have an entirely different class structure.

 

To use ref dlvps with different visibilities you need to create a duplicate dlvp for each scenario.

 

Yes unfortunately how we also have to do things, but it is a pain and results in a lot of uneccessary duplication of viewports. Thus the wishlist!

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, Boh said:

I haven’t seen this before. Can you post a file?

 

Not sure if this is what you're wanting.

 

"Renaissance Nash" is the referenced Design Layer.

The "Working Overall" Saved View will give you the "Main Model" and "Venue-Main" Design Layers, on which the latter of which is placed the VP-Venue Master DLVP, rotated to the desired orientation and moved to the desired position.

The "Plt - Room Layout" Saved View will give you the Sheet Layer on which was placed the SLVP of the layout.

 

Does this help???

DLVP Demo.vwx

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Posted (edited)

@C. Andrew Dunning

 

On 5/27/2021 at 2:04 AM, C. Andrew Dunning said:

I do this quite a bit using the "Layer" referencing method.  I have found that geometry visibility within Sheet Layer ViewPorts that contain Design Layer ViewPorts hinges on Class visibility when the Sheet Layer is active.  For example, "Class A" has to be visible in the SLVP AND when the Sheet Layer is active.

I haven't found this to be the case when I opened your file. Mind I don't have vw2020 so opened it with v2021.

 

Have you played with these settings?

image.thumb.png.0487a5a41f2a735ca2a140cc7207bc35.png

image.thumb.png.df3195f8b60db57f8750ddcfdc25347a.png

 

Edited by Boh
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, Boh said:

@C. Andrew Dunning  I haven't found this to be the case when I opened your file.

 

This file actually works.  If you look @ Class visibilities after invoking the "Plt" Saved View you'll see that things are configured as I've described.  The annoying thing is that some files work and others don't - and, it's usually the more intricate files that don't.  Ya find yourself having to do things like invoking the Saved View that mimics the SLVP right before going to that Sheet Layer.  Frustrating...

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...