Multi-storey building all in one storey - would this work?

But does your wall actually have a component or components specified in its settings? Or is it just a single thickness wall whose thickness is determined by the wall rather than by the component/s?

The other thing I've realised you can do to get rid of the pesky lines is to the change map type from auto-align plane to something else then back again...

Yes, it's a two component wall, using a wall style.

Turned out it was because I didn't actually have a texture assigned to either of those components. When I did that, the options became editable. And ticking the "use world Z" box did make the line go away as you suggest. It doesn't come back when I then untick the box.

• Like 1

I submitted a bug on this issue recently and then found a workaround: I recreated the viewport from scratch. The file started in v2019, was converted to v2020 and then v2021, so in this particular instance I think the problem probably stemmed from v2020.

They're an infuriating thing because there seems to be so many things that can cause them. Most often I find they're valid errors of misalignment but all too often they're inexplicable, like the one you've just come across.

If you're working on a building that doesn't have many right angles, as I currently am, you have to be extremely careful to make sure the angles of stacked walls match exactly, using the highest decimal precision for angle and length.

Edited by Christiaan

Not sure it can be blamed on conversion from earlier version - the drawing I'm working on at the moment I started completely fresh in 2021.

I'm not quite sure yet, but I think that when these lines show up in my OpenGL views, they don't necessarily also appear in my hidden line viewports.

7 minutes ago, line-weight said:

I'm not quite sure yet, but I think that when these lines show up in my OpenGL views, they don't necessarily also appear in my hidden line viewports.

Yes, that's another little nuance.

I have a wishlist item in for this, although we'll see how Metal deals with it instead: VE-95434.

Edit: Dave Donley was looking into this. Last he said to me was "No this did no go into 2016. We will consider this for the next version!"

Edited by Christiaan

I too have a new 2021 file. Building completely square. Walls all properly aligned. Lines between walls on different floors in OpenGL on design layer appear seemingly completely randomly. I remove them as I see them so are gone by the time I get to VP stage. Sometimes enabling 'Use World Z' removes them there + then. Sometimes I have to enable it then disable it to get the line to disappear. Also changing the map type to something else then back again gets rid of them.

• 1 year later...
On 5/24/2021 at 5:55 PM, line-weight said:

would it work to just have one, overall storey? It would contain all the design layers, and I would set up all the levels I wanted as "default story levels". So I'd have one named FFL-1st, one named FFL-2nd, and so on. And then any element in any layer could relate to any of these levels.

That is a nice idea and would theoretically work.

Just that it would not be much fun to

a) create all these levels in VW's environment and

b) to assign them to your PIOs and Components from VW's dialogs 

Well, I have a couple of projects that I set up this way, and it doesn't seem to have caused me any major problems, except that sometimes if I haven't looked at one of the projects for a while, I forget how it's set up and some strange things happen that confuse me for a short time.

The question is whether it brings any particular advantages, and I think the advantages are a bit limited because not many objects can actually use 'levels' in the end.

One of those projects is hopefully soon going to move to a construction drawings stage (after months and months stuck in the UK planning system thatnks to post-covid chaos) and then I'll be able to see if it helps me with that stage of drawings (where I find that referring things to datums can help keep things under control).

4 hours ago, zoomer said:

But I think you would then need PIO Style duplicates for each Story (?)

no, I don't think so.

(I assume you mean for each storey of my building, rather than each VW 'storey' because the whole point is that there is only one VW 'storey')

Here's the same wall style which I've used on two different storeys of the building, and in each case its top and bottom bounds are controlled by levels that I've set up. In this case finished floor levels and finished ceiling levels.

1683039400_Screenshot2022-08-08at21_48_04.jpg.bf1872dff1d169b174594694ece5658f.jpg1388481989_Screenshot2022-08-08at21_48_14.jpg.1d60d7e0bd6dd9b2e6c05ad06b6ea045.jpg

Another thing I've found it a bit useful for, is that I have set levels that are "top of joist" and "bottom of joist" for timber floors. Then I make a "flooring" slab on top of the joists and a "ceiling slab" underneath whose elevations are set relative to the top or bottom of the joists. The flooring and ceiling buildups can be independent of each other and can each have multiple components. (In fact I've even used "slabs" for the joists themselves in some cases). Then the whole thing can be adjusted just by changing the top and bottom of joist levels, either to make the joists deeper or move the floor up or down. To what extent this is actually useful in general use, I'm yet to decide, but it's kind of satisfying to set it up like that, somehow.

What's kind of stupid is that you can't set doors and windows relative to "levels".

Edited by line-weight

Yes, you can overwrite your Hight's of Styles and they will be kept after Style changes

since VW 20??

Each time I get a new project I need long time to decide if Story setup or Layer Setup and

such things when I get first sketches.

Mostly I see many different height levels between up to 5 Stories and try to estimate or bet

what will be more effective. Design changes from clients always showed I decide wrong.

I usually use Story Setup anyway and do the "irregular" Levels by special Story Levels.

To keep manual PIO overwriting of Top/Bottoms to a minimum.

It is mostly the pre estimation of what might possibly change in design that makes it

successful in the end.

• Like 1