Philip

I need to create a wall of 4 different thicknesses

wall height and thickness:

0-1500mm = 250mm thick

1500-1700mm = 200mm thick

1700-2200mm = 250mm thick

2200-2400mm = 300mm thick

2400-2600mm = 350mm thick

I have tried drawing 5 walls on top of each other but this causes a problem if I insert an object such as a door or window in the wall !

Is it a wall that has slopes on both sides as it rises? Are you working on an egyptoid temple?

You''l have to do a hybrid object, i think, where you show a regular wall with a door symbol in plan, and than a 3D object for modelling views. Either some sort of 3d polyline or a loft. good luck...

"walk like an egyptian"

[ 03-20-2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: jfmarch ]

Phillip, here's how I would do it:

1) Use the 200mm wall as your main wall. Make it full height. Insert doors & windows.

2) For the 250mm wall, depending on whether it is flush one side (or not), use one 50mm thickener wall (or two 25mm, one each side). Make sure to assign the correct "z" and "delta z" values. Lay this (these) walls directly next to your main wall.

3) Continue on up like that, placing each thickener where it needs to be, both in x / y space as well as z space.

Trim will obviously be a complicated affair, both for you and for the builder, I suspect. However, maybe this is a stucco building (?) and therefore the trim is inset??

Have fun!

Peter Cipes

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I think the issue about your wall is partially determined by how your windows will fit into it. Draw the wall as 200mm and add your windows and doors. You could use a "chain extrude" for the wall thickening elements. Then create an extrude for all your windows (if they are the same height) and a second extrude for your doors (again if they are all the same height). Then subtract the two extrudes in turn from the chain extrude (which will turn into a solid subtraction).