Cutting or trimming a 3d object

I am a novice in engineering applications of VW, and I'm stuck on a simple task.

1) Draw a trapezoid and then extrude it, so that the extruded dimension is longer than the others. 

2) Rotate the object in 3D view so that the former z-axis replaces the x-axis. I.e. the trapezoid faces are now on the ends.

3) I want to add another cut to the ends, so that each face will have a unique taper. 

I have read the discussion on "cutting 3D objects" but I haven't been able to get it to work. The advice was to draw the cut line and then use the split tool; but this only works after you go to Top View, which undoes the rotation and makes the cut line disappear. Any suggestions on how to make this work?

@js47 Welcome to the forum!

Loads of ways to do this. Here are a few:

Try the Split tool again.
Rotate your view so that the cut plane is perpendicular to the screen. Front view? Set the drawing to Screen Plane. Draw the 2d guide line if needed. Select the extrude. Engage the Split tool in 2nd or 3rd mode with the Split Selection option active. If second mode, click each end of the guide line. It splits the extrude and both parts remain selected. Deselect them, then select the part to delete and delete it.  If 3rd mode, Click the split over your guide line, the extrude will highlight and split.  Hover over side to retain then click again to delete the other side. 

Or, the Project tool in the 3d tool set:

Set the view to be perpendicular to your cut, set the drawing to Screen Plane, draw a 2d line or curve where you want to cut. Activate the tool in trim mode, follow the prompts. 

or, perhaps the Taper Face tool can do this?

or Solid Section or Solid Subtraction

or Push Pull tool might work for this

ok post back if you are getting things to work or have more questions

-B