Beast of a building in Twickenham

Nice job!  I did an old villa a while back and after 2 site measures couldn’t work out why the upstairs walls didn’t line up with downstairs - some walls were 100mm or so out of alignment. Finally figured out that the original high stud walls weren’t vertical but more recent reno walls were!

Nice project! Appreciate the sharing of projects. Nice to see what's possible with VW.

1 hour ago, Boh said:

Nice job!  I did an old villa a while back and after 2 site measures couldn’t work out why the upstairs walls didn’t line up with downstairs - some walls were 100mm or so out of alignment. Finally figured out that the original high stud walls weren’t vertical but more recent reno walls were!

Yeah we had the same. Since then we we use pointcloud scans to draw the building. It's not so expensive anymore. Compared to the time and cost to manual measure it. It's somewhat the same. And it gives more data. Unfortunately vectorworks can't really handel the files so we use Revit to trace the pointcloud and import them into VW. Hope that will improve in the feature..

Edited by MarcelP102

If the builder built it we can do it in 3d. The data never lies. Whatever the Edwardian builder did!  I have never looked back since 3d modelling. Effort up front has paid back in spades for us as a business. I am very pleased with Vectorworks and how it has improved our business. 

• Like 4

@David S  what would your advice be for modelling an old barn with not a straight line in sight...? I was thinking a point cloud survey would be the way to go but then I saw @MarcelP102 's comment above... I am not in a position to use Revit. It's not so much irregularity in plan I'm concerned about but walls which lean + twist vertically...

3 hours ago, MarcelP102 said:

Unfortunately vectorworks can't really handel the files so we use Revit to trace the pointcloud and import them into VW. Hope that will improve in the feature..

Not to highjack the thread, but I'm curious why you had difficulty in Vectorworks.  I use a lot of point cloud data for developing my models.  My only gripe has been the scaling issue when importing, which takes a bit of manual effort to correct initially.  Otherwise, it's been very useful in documenting as-builts prior to beginning design.  Prior to bringing the point clouds into Vectorworks, I have done a bit of editing and decimation in either Autodesk Recap, Pix4d, or Metashape to make the Vectorworks side of things more manageable.

@RussUshould join this chat, he knows a thing or two about all this and Tom W.'s question.

• Like 1

Thanks @jeff prince that's reassuring. I also spoke with a really clued-up + helpful surveyor who said he does loads of laser-surveys for people using VW so that's good to know.

What I do with the survey once I've imported it however is another matter... 🙂

My sum knowledge on the subject so far is this video:

Fine if all the structural elements are straight + plumb...

• Like 1
13 hours ago, jeff prince said:

Not to highjack the thread, but I'm curious why you had difficulty in Vectorworks.  I use a lot of point cloud data for developing my models.  My only gripe has been the scaling issue when importing, which takes a bit of manual effort to correct initially.  Otherwise, it's been very useful in documenting as-builts prior to beginning design.  Prior to bringing the point clouds into Vectorworks, I have done a bit of editing and decimation in either Autodesk Recap, Pix4d, or Metashape to make the Vectorworks side of things more manageable.

@RussUshould join this chat, he knows a thing or two about all this and Tom W.'s question.

Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to check again. But I think it was also part to blame due to my bad GPU. For a next project I will try to make the pointcloud lighter by using your suggested tools, thanks.

Edited by MarcelP102

Hi Folks, thanks for the invite @jeff prince

Firstly, @David S That's an excellent house model. That cheeky little floor void behind the lower staircase would have caught us all out.

I've had a crazy year with point clouds, and can absolutely say they can be a life saver. We've all come away from site forgetting to take a certain dimension which turned out to be critical. With a point cloud, you have everything you need to hand.

I've used a Revit and VW workflow for about a year on a very large job and the point cloud was critical. It was in an athletic stadium where the bowl of the stadium had a changing radius and the pitch of the rakers got gradually steeper as you moved outwards. Without the point cloud it would have been a world of pain. Don't underestimate the amount of work you have to put in "tracing" the cloud with proper geometry. That can be very time consuming. Honestly though, if the client didn't specify Revit I would have done the whole thing in VW.

Remember, you can filter out points on import, so if your machine is struggling import just 50% of the points. The viewcube is also a superb at focussing on a work area... remember to use it.

I use Metashape to create and refine the point cloud. Sometimes I break it into chunks so I can focus on one area at a time. Another thing with Metashape is that you can get the computer to create a textured mesh and have it loosely model your site for you. (powerful computer and good GPU highly recomended.)

With regards to out of square walls, leaning walls etc. It depends on what you want to do. If you're laser cutting parts to fit, yes model exactly. But generally mainly for the sake of neatness in the finished drawings, I'll split the difference and square things off.

A couple of you might find this video interesting.... maybe!

https://youtu.be/xY7DNFmiBy0

• Like 3

@RussU that's an amazing video thanks for sharing!

1 hour ago, RussU said:

But generally mainly for the sake of neatness in the finished drawings, I'll split the difference and square things off.

That's what I was hoping you'd say! I guess as you say at least with the point cloud data at your disposal you make make an assessment as to whether the out-of-plumbness is enough to mess things up in terms of dimensioning floor plans or whether you can tolerate a degree of inaccuracy for the sake of being able to model it without giving yourself a brain hemorrhage 🙂

• Like 1