Curved segment ceiling

Soof1700

Question

Dear all, 

I've run into a problem and I am at my wits end.

I am making a curved ceiling out of segments (kind of like a parametric ceiling). I've created my desired flows from NURBS curves, and then the made a surface out of them with the loft function. I made the segments by just extruding and subtracting the pieces I wanted removed from that surface. Now the problem arises; I want to have the loose "segments" I created of the ceiling displayed next to each other, so I can eventually get them laser cut. What I need for this is the curve of each individual segment as a line/polyline and a straight line as a ceiling. I tried to ungroup the object but it just returns to the loft and the volume is subtracted from it to create the segments. 

Any clue how to fix this? Do I need to create the segments some other way? 

Thanks in advance

Curved segment ceiling.vwx

2 answers to this question

If I understand correctly you have a series of planar baffles, flat at the top, curved at the bottom and spaced apart below a flat ceiling.

You can use the Extract tool Create Planar Faces mode to create polylines for each part.

You can then select these and lay them out for fabrication.

Converting to Screen Plane Mode can be helpful here for the layout.