Dialogs...

shorter

Question

Can this dialog be changed please to avoid the confiusion that occurs about which referencing solution to use?

2110038239_Screenshot2021-05-19at12_53_09.thumb.png.c4fd0a6beaf7fe7b293411ee7c155c5c.png

There is nothing 'advanced' or better about design layer viewports when compared to layer import referenicng and this obfuscates the fact that you can create a viewport from a referenced layer, with arguably better functionality and control of the graphical qualities of the referenced data.

There are two types of referencing, and each has it's merits, and the referencing methodology and workflow should be agreed and selected based on the benefits it brings, not just because the software has introduced a new function and therefore it must be used.

Edit: Sorry.  There are three types of referencing.

Dialogs like this over the years have lead to a lot of confusion, some huge problems with users using the wrong type of referencing, because they think they have to use DLVP, when they don't.

Edited by shorter
  • Like 2

6 answers to this question

For me the advanced DLVP Referencing isn't that intuitive.

I went always the DLVP way so far and I think for 2D DWG

underlays it is ok.

(Maybe I am doing it completely wrong ....)

You choose new Reference,

select a File,

have a new Reference Object in your file and Navigation Panel,

and nothing more to see.

You have to know that you need to manually add a new VP

in VP Panel, change Settings from SL to DL,

choose or create a new Layer,

Select content by choosing from existing, ......

And there is nothing you can do with that DLVP thing except

switching Visibilities of referenced Classes and Layers.

Not even a Crop works in 3D as the Crop is always in "advanced"

screen plane mode to confuse you.

Maybe I am doing it just wrong ....

If I go the old school way of hard referencing,

I will get all Reference's Layers and Classes in my File ?

And can I edit the Reference Geometry in any way ?

At least access and copy it into my file ?

13 minutes ago, zoomer said:

If I go the old school way of hard referencing,

I will get all Reference's Layers and Classes in my File ?

And can I edit the Reference Geometry in any way ?

At least access and copy it into my file ?

Layer Import Referencing imports layers, classes and all resources found in the layers you choose when you reference. 

It is an very reliable method of referencing (rah!), and offers the advantages of DLVP, plus also, you can copy the referenced data into your active layer, since it is effectively an automated 'copy and paste'. The referenced data behaves like normal data albeit locked so you cannot edit it until it is copied in to your live file, but you can edit symbols, and any other resources you use from that referenced data 'in place' which is utterly fantastic when used correctly and a disaster waiting to happen if not (boo!)

It does rely, as does all referencing, on a consistent data and naming structure.  Cf links in InDesign... change a name, or the location of a linked file and you will lose that link.  But this is just common-sense, not a bug with referencing.

Origins are important.  VERY IMPORTANT!!!  But that's also why there is a button that says 'Ignore Source User Origin' aka 'Link Origin to Origin' in Revit parlance, which is INCREDIBLY useful (resounding rah!), but only if you have an origin strategy.  If your origins are not in the same place* in each file, then that button isn't going to help.   * Exacerbated by the 'recommneded' dwg import setting (big boo!).

But, the downside, if you consider it a downside is that classes, and resources infect your file (meh...)

This is no big deal really.  You should be taking steps to manage the use of third party data, which of course many don't and then complain about layer referencing.

If you have classes that start with the initials of your company, or you use 'A-...' etc, and you prefix the classes of the incoming data, then you can use class filters (big rah!!!) to hide classes that aren't yours, and now with 'Batch Rename' (huge rah!) you can also prefix any alien resources, to be able to again filter what you see in the resourcer manager.

Good, efficient CAD and BIM is all about using the management tools to remove these obstacles.

• Like 1

ps I never reference a DWG.  We always import the dwg and then prepare the imported data, before referencing the VW file.  Ditto IFC.  Maybe it's because I manage so many CAD systems I do this, but we find it is a better way to use the data and the software.

43 minutes ago, shorter said:

The referenced data behaves like normal data albeit locked so you cannot edit it until it is copied in to your live file

Great.

That sounds more useful for my current IFC and Revit Imports.

Which are intended to replace, step by step, my own older geometry

in parts.

So like in ACADs REFEDIT, where you can just "pull" REF geometry into your File.

(Although I am not sure what that means in the meaning of References,

namely, the ability to Update a Reference later)

Sounds more simple and clear in VW, by copying over, but still existing in the Reference.

46 minutes ago, shorter said:

I never reference a DWG.  We always import the dwg and then prepare the imported data,

Of course, I always use Shuttle Files and only reference the VW files.

But I was considering "direct" IFC Referencing though.

As I get updated Versions every week before having time to cleanup

the previous imports ....

@zoomer Once referenced data is copied into your file (and by the way, simply duplicating the referenced layer 'binds' the referenced data into your live file wholesale), it is then no longer connected to the source, unless the source contained symbols and you then use those symbols in your live file.  If you update the reference, the copied data will not update, but the symbols and other resources will if you are not careful.  Another reason why third party data should be prepared prior to being referenced.

That's OK.

I would integrate copied parts into my Geometry and Layer Structure.

And purge and clean up when ready.

But if I update the Reference I would still be able to notice any differences.

(I am just not sure and never tested what would happen in such a case,

after I "pulled" over parts of the Reference's geometry with the +- buttons

from REFEDIT - or even vice versa !?)

And for the initial proposal,

I agree that the message does not need the weighting for one solution.