Editing Wall Styles from Worksheets

Hi there. I would like to be able to more easily change Wall Style Descriptions, Fire Ratings, Mark numbers, etc. from a schedule. Of all of those things, I would say being able to change the mark number of the Wall Style Mark Number (Pset_WallCommon.Reference) would be the most helpful. We often renumber walls as we add or take away wall types from the project. It would be so much easier to change the numbers via a worksheet where I can see all the walls being used in the file at one time instead of hunting the walls down, selecting them, and changing the wall style's mark number. Is this possible? I read that Vectorworks specifically prohibits the editing of wall styles from schedules in the worksheet functionality training HERE - is that true? Any workarounds? 

I also have a similar question but related to window numbering. I would like the windows to automatically number in ascending order based on their size. I am currently lining up all the window styles in ascending order and manually changing the number. 

Also attached is a screenshot of the wall schedule I am using. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 1.04.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 1.14.22 PM.png

I will have to think about the window schedule option.

As far as editing Styles from a worksheet, that is not currently possible. As of VW2021, worksheets can only see objects that are actually placed in the drawing. Wall Styles, Symbols, and other resources can not be seen or edited in a worksheet.

If what you really want is to be able to change things on a per wall basis you might be able to set the style to have those items to By Instance instead of By Style and then you should be able to edit in the worksheet.

• Like 1

Thanks Pat. I am currently using a marionette script to line up my windows automatically that I found on the forum, so it actually isn't that bad to do the windows.

I definitely don't want to change the walls to a per instance basis. I guess I will stick to the current way or working until VW gives us a housekeeping style Schedule to see all the wall styles and their associated data in one place. The other nice thing about that would be copying and pasting wall descriptions between wall styles when the only difference between the two descriptions are things like stud sizes or R-value, etc. 

• Like 1
On 5/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, pmosher said:

Thanks Pat. I am currently using a marionette script to line up my windows automatically that I found on the forum, so it actually isn't that bad to do the windows.

I definitely don't want to change the walls to a per instance basis. I guess I will stick to the current way or working until VW gives us a housekeeping style Schedule to see all the wall styles and their associated data in one place. The other nice thing about that would be copying and pasting wall descriptions between wall styles when the only difference between the two descriptions are things like stud sizes or R-value, etc. 

Hi pmosher : Im' interested in that marionette script. Would you agree to say which one you are using? Thank you !

On 5/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, pmosher said:

Same here. Would appreciate if you point us to that marionette script. Thanks.

@drelARCH @blimey Couldn't find the thread, but attached is a VW file with the script and some directions.

One thing idk how to do is make the windows all line up from smallest to largest automatically. If I could do that, it would speed up my workflow. From what I can tell, the windows line up in the same order as they exist in the Window Style folder that the script pulls information from. If you name your window styles starting with their dimensions first, they usually will line up correctly, but sometimes I want to name my windows something like "Main Hall Windows" and not "3'0"x6'6" Casement". Anyone know how to add onto this script to make the windows automatically line up from smallest to largest? 

**I did not write this script, someone else did and they deserve the credit! I can't find the post where I found it, but props to that person! 

WINDOW LINEUP SCRIPT.vwx

• Like 1