Stop it with the implied bezier curves with the poly line tool!

Ride

Question

I don't understand. Why is the implied bezier curve with the poly line tool is so eager to activate?? And why is this a feature at all? There are options for different curves in the mode bar, if I wanted something other than a straight line, I would select a different mode. This "feature" drives me crazy. Sometimes the software needs to get out of the way so you can get some work done. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 09.35.06.png

11 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
2 hours ago, Ride said:

I don't understand. Why is the implied bezier curve with the poly line tool is so eager to activate?? And why is this a feature at all? There are options for different curves in the mode bar, if I wanted something other than a straight line, I would select a different mode. This "feature" drives me crazy. Sometimes the software needs to get out of the way so you can get some work done. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 09.35.06.png

I think what you are seeing is when you hold down the mouse after you have inserted a new vertex. If you click fast, this may happen. It's a feature that allows you to change the vertex type to Bézier without switching modes. It's been around forever. 

Thanks for responding. Yes, I do click "quickly" when I get going on drawing, which activates this feature all - the - time. It seems to be way more eager to activate in later versions of VW. And this 'feature' really slows things down. And my question is why is it there at all? It seems like one of those things that might look good for the sales brochure, but useless in reality. Or, I'm in the minority and other users love it. Either way, it's certainly is a killer in my workflow. Wish I could deactivate it. Maybe it should be a preference option.

Edited by Ride
1 hour ago, zoomer said:

I think it will just show the tangent of the curve at the snapping point.

(A helper line that you can lock in with "T" key for following snaps ?)

It's not the helper line that's the problem, but when using the poly line tool, there is a function that if you click on a point quickly and move away at an angle, it switches to bezier vertex mode all of a sudden. Which sucks when you're just trying to draw some straight lines. 

4 minutes ago, Ride said:

Thanks for responding. Yes, I do click "quickly" when I get going on drawing, which activates this feature all - the - time. It seems to be way more eager to activate in later versions of VW. And this 'feature' really slows things down. And my question is why is it there at all? It seems like one of those things that might look good for the sales brochure, but useless in reality. Or, I'm in the minority and other users love it. Either way, it's certainly is a killer in my workflow. Wish I could deactivate it. Maybe it should be a preference option.

If you want to draw corner vertices only, you can use the polygon tool. Will that not work?

Yes, I have. And I've tried to get in the habit of using that instead of the poly line tool. I'm getting old and old habits die hard. I've been using '5' for drawing a polyline for 12 years now. I'm going to try swapping the shortcuts in my workspace. See if that helps. 

1 minute ago, Ride said:

Yes, I have. And I've tried to get in the habit of using that instead of the poly line tool. I'm getting old and old habits die hard. I've been using '5' for drawing a polyline for 12 years now. I'm going to try swapping the shortcuts in my workspace. See if that helps. 

Yes, I know what you mean. "Can't teach an old dog new tricks", I guess. 🙂

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

It's definitely more sensitive that it was in the past, but I use this feature all the time. Its easy enough to hit delete and re-place a point when it happens and you don't want it.

Kevin

If after the first click the bezier is initiated, then hitting delete doesn't take you back to starting with a straight line, it keeps the bezier mode enabled. So you need to start again. Not a big deal, but better if I don't have to do that at all. 

Either way, I will try to embrace this thing, or swap my 5 and 8 shortcuts to get around it.

Edited by Ride