3D geometry invisible in Ampeg Vectorworks Library File

Here's a very interesting problem, which I can describe with screenshots.

Some 3D geometry becomes invisible upon either using or editing certain symbols in the Vectorworks Library File Speakers Ampeg.vwx that comes in the standard Vectorworks Library.

Here's a sample speaker symbol as it appears in the Resource Manager when you first browse or open this file:

AmpegBeforeEdit.thumb.PNG.0c662dd4cdacabc39f1af15ad5d694ee.PNG

If you either Edit 3d Component from the Resource Manager or add the symbol to a Design Layer, the geometry appears properly in Wireframe:

AmpegWireframeEdit.thumb.PNG.300cd3b7ab17ad157ca4d18fb2d28071.PNG

But when you switch to OpenGL mode, much of the 3D geometry is invisible!!

AmpegOpenGLDuringEdit.thumb.PNG.6c5152bb817e6d39f9d2ef1f92e9bdd7.PNG

If you hover over the Generic Solid that makes up the back part of this speaker, it is visible as a selection:

AmpegHover.thumb.png.05d7f757f8ae12f2c9c3d4083c1145d2.png

This happens with several of the symbols in the file. It also happens in other render modes besides OpenGL. Importing the symbol to a new file does not help. Copy/pasting the symbol in to a new file does not help.

This happens in the unmodified version of the Vectorworks Library file, whether you open the file or just try to import the symbol in to a new file from the Resource Manager.

I opened other similar Vectorworks Library files at random and could not find the same problem.

A copy of this file is attached as it was downloaded from the Vectorworks Library, from which these screenshots were generated.

Can anyone else confirm this problem or provide any insight as to what would make this happen?

Thanks!

peace

aj

Speakers Ampeg.vwx

@JustinVH Where would I go to reach out as you suggest? I have been told to post things here because you guys are always reading the forums.

Interestingly enough, cutting and pasting the geometry right back where it was brought it back properly in the destination file in which I was trying to use the symbol, but the same workaround did not work in the source Ampeg file. Weird.

Thanks for responding... perhaps I could send tech support a link to this thread so I don't have to type all that out again?🙂

peace

aj

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, scottmoore said:

Or you could check out my backline symbol library at edgelightrgb.com. 

ok sorry, it’s a shameless plug, but you won’t have that particular issue. 

Dude, you already got my money, and I have been using your awesome symbols for some time now!!! I think that I was using the VWX model because you didn't have that particular Ampeg symbol? Or maybe some other reason. Perhaps I need to throw you another $50 for the 2020 models??

I'll help you shamelessly plug your library... I just switched a bunch of VWX guitars for your symbols to reduce the polygon count for pre-vis... 

Keep up the good work!

peace

aj

6 hours ago, ajpen said:

Dude, you already got my money, and I have been using your awesome symbols for some time now!!! I think that I was using the VWX model because you didn't have that particular Ampeg symbol? Or maybe some other reason. Perhaps I need to throw you another $50 for the 2020 models??

I'll help you shamelessly plug your library... I just switched a bunch of VWX guitars for your symbols to reduce the polygon count for pre-vis... 

Keep up the good work!

peace

aj

Well played AJ, well played!

much appreciated by the way. An Ampeg 4x10 should go on my list for sure. 

• 2 weeks later...