Problems with render setting for simpel 3D diagram

MarcelP102

Question

Hi, 

I'm trying to make 3D diagrams with Vectorworks. But I can't find the right settings for the viewport. Some settings shows unwanted lines, some settings show the wrong display order and some settings don't show any fill in the 3D Building mass... In potential VW would be great for diagrams. But not being able to find the right settings drives me crazy.. I made a very simple example to illustrate my problem. Hope someone can help.

Diagram rendering setting experiment.JPG

Diagram experiment.vwx

5 answers to this question

Are the shapes all 3D objects or are some of them "Layer Plane" or "Working Plane" 2D objects (Rectangles or polygons)?  If they are 2D, then the render modes might not properly respect 2D stacking order.

Can you try and extrude (or push/pull) the 2D objects to make them 3D with some thickness? Even 0.01mm might be enough.

• Like 1

Yes, if you render in 3D,

2D drawing order does not work.

In 3D, things have to be 3D. Meaning that you have to stack Objects

in Z height. Any overlapping objects at same height will most times

cause render issues (Z-fighting)

I would extrude the Rectangles too.

Use slightly different heights, largest height for the most top object.

Doesn't need much extrude distance. Depending on scale,

some cm or even mm extrusion may be enough.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your help. I managed to get almost everything working:

1957034864_Diagramv2.thumb.JPG.6268dfdd81c9c86351de9e2b303d4875.JPG

First I tried to keep the roads and ground plane 2D but with a different Z value (controlled by the layer). Unfortunately the buildings didn't project there shadows on these planes. So that's why I made them 3D using the 'Create Floor' Command and 1mm thickness. Unfortunately now I can’t hide their lines. For example the green arrow is still a polygon and can easily be changed to show/hide the line. The buildings are made with an extrusion, I can still show/hide the lines. But a floor won’t change. I find it hard to edit the shape with an extrusion in plan view. That's why I prefer the floor option.

As you can see I’m rather new in modeling in 3D with Vectorworks. I have only used the 2D function for the past 10 years. Making diagrams in Vectorworks instead of SketchUp+illustrator is the first small step to use VW full potential.

Hope someone can help.

EDIT: Never mind. got those floor lines to hide by going into Plan view and hide them. In 3D view I can only turn the floor lines ON, not OFF. Is this a bug? 

Edited by MarcelP102