RECORD FORMAT - when referenced resource is changed source resource will not take effect

Hi all,

I dont see effect of changing referenced record format to source resource....

When I am in phase of development of any resource I prefer to have it referenced to actual file and later when fully developed I break reference a do import to individual file

Am I missing something?

Or is this bug as other resources likes wall, slab, roof styles when referenced works fine both way....?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Ok. I see I should not include second sentence in my initial post. I think it cause confusion. Anyway my intention was to describe my general workflow and approach with resource library. So is this case with record format.

So back to issue I am seeing with record format.

I have record format XY with some structure and data in it. I store it in my record format library file. Now I want to utilize this record format in one of my project file. So i referenced it (not imported) in project file hoping that whenever I change something in record format (because it is still in development) in project file those changes will be reflected in library file where original record format reside.

And the issue is it doesn't reflect changes ...so it is not sending changes to source record format....?

Hope this is more clear now.

Thanks

Edited by drelARCH

Much clearer, thank you.

I just tried that in a very simple 2 file setup. I created a new blank file, added a record format, added a poly to the drawing (I am not sure if you can save a file with nothing in the drawing) and saved the file.

I then created a second new blank file. I then browsed for the first file and referenced the record format. In the Resource Manager I edited the record format and saved the file (I again added a poly to make sure it would save).

I then opened the original file and checked the record format. The fields that I had added in the second file were saved back to the original. I am not sure why it is not working for you.

Have you checked the Organization dialog box (Navigation palette) to make sure there is really a reference to the file? Is that reference to the file you think it is to?

From the Organization Dialog box have you checked the settings to ensure that the Allow in place editing of referenced resources is checked? (I have not idea if this is the issue or not, but it sounds like it might have something to do with it). (This is probably not it. With this unchecked you get a dialog box telling to edit the resource in the source file.)

image.thumb.png.7a53cfb75d4356f6e321a42470a15a97.png

• Like 1
22 hours ago, drelARCH said:

When I am in phase of development of any resource I prefer to have it referenced to actual file and later when fully developed I break reference a do import to individual file

I didn't realise you could do this thank you @drelARCH this is really useful to know! I should have been doing this for a long time!

• Like 1

Thanks @Pat Stanfordfor looking into it.

To be precise I get mixed results...

I see that when I add new item to main structure of record format this works fine both way...but when I add new item to existing pop-up list (i use pop-up types quite a lot) it doesn't work reliable. Sometimes changes get through but most of time not...Most of the time I need to send back changes to origin resource, rarely other way round.

I thought that in order to make it work i must every time attach referenced record format to at least one object in file. I think in past I didn't always attached referenced rf to a object in project file and tried to edit it right after resource was successfully referenced into file to see if it is working.

4 hours ago, Tom W. said:

I didn't realise you could do this thank you @drelARCH this is really useful to know! I should have been doing this for a long time!

It is really quite useful. I have learned this from virtual design summit form last year ... or at least i got courage to give it a chance ... I was bit afraid of reliability of crossing resources between files.

• Like 1