Furniture modelling

Hi, I am trying to design this bench with wooden top & steel legs (so different textures on both). Then I want to save this as symbol, so that I can scale it up or down to suit the size I need. How do I go about this? If I do solid addition, all the solid test.vwxchange to one texture. If I group it and create the symbol, the scale change moves the position of legs. Thanks for helping.

I'd be interested to know the answer to this. I have several hybrid symbols that are set up so that I can scale them in the drawing but only on one axis. So for example I have a 1m length of gutter that I can specify the exact length for in the X field in the Asymmetric scaling in the O.I.P. And the same for a proprietary door threshold. But to be able to scale something like a table would I think require a scripted plug-in:

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2021/eng/index.htm?#t=VW2021_Guide%2FScripts%2FConcept_Scripted_plug-ins.htm%23XREF_21468_Scripted_Plug_ins&rhsearch=custom plug ins&rhsyns=

Someone like @Pat Stanford or @michaelk might be able to confirm? I'd be interested to know what would be involved...

But then the question is how often are you going to be using this particular table + in how many different size configurations that it would warrant creating a plug-in object for it? I looked at your file + the table's quite a unique/specific object. Perhaps you'd be better to just make 3 or 4 different symbols at different sizes then you've got them at your disposal in your favourites. The legs would presumably not need scaling, it would just be the table top, + you can very quickly created different sizes for this in Top/Plan using 'Scale Objects' command in Asymmetric mode, then just reposition the legs as required. Would take seconds to create a number of different symbols.

• Like 1

That's exactly what a plug-in is for!  The built in table and chair tool in VW is exactly that - a scripted plug in that builds tables exactly the way you describe.

I'm not sure if creating plug-ins is an addicting hobby or a workflow catalyst (see @Pat Stanford for chart showing when you're enhancing workflow and when you're feeding an addiction).  But there are a bunch of people making them and not all of them are degenerate coding addicts.

For example,  Andrea at https://plugins.andreafacchinello.it makes really great scripted plug-ins that I use all the time for gutters, downspouts, millwork, and beams.  (I think I use the beam tool every day for rafter tails, trellises, corbels, etc.)

Something like a custom threshold would be a prime candidate for a plug in.  It would allow you to have a handle at each end of the threshold so you don't have to do the scaling math :-).

• Like 1
3 hours ago, michaelk said:

I'm not sure if creating plug-ins is an addicting hobby or a workflow catalyst (see @Pat Stanford for chart showing when you're enhancing workflow and when you're feeding an addiction).  But there are a bunch of people making them and not all of them are degenerate coding addicts.

Ha ha!

I've seen Andrea's plug-ins but never used any of them. 

My threshold symbol look like this:

1998699729_Screenshot2021-05-13at11_11_14.thumb.png.15ee596261259e50cb22f73e3cab43c8.png

But I actually have a blue group symbol version which I can drag to size in Top/Plan.

But I was wondering about another symbol I have - a rainwater downpipe offset:

5591189_Screenshot2021-05-13at11_18_39.thumb.png.c5ab7d0027921ddfbf17e9cd7386fdf8.png

This has a projection of 115mm + that is the size I most commonly use. But it would be great if it could be made into a P.I.O. where I could specify the projection in the O.I.P. for when I need larger offsets. It is just the diagonal section in the middle which would need to be adjustable - the two vertical elements wouldn't change. So as a purely theoretical enquiry, is this something that someone who knows how to script could do relatively easily? Or would it be a ton of work? I'm just interested...

@BGD  apologies for highjacking your thread!

• Like 1

Thanks @michaelk  yeah I saw that. But I chose to model my own components because we use a specific manufacturer of rainwater goods over + over so I wanted the specific products faithfully represented. And the symbols each have records attached so produces a take-off with product codes etc.

But I'll take away from this conversation that probably best I stick to symbols + leave the plug-ins to the professionals 😃